NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils - Love Them or Leave Them?

Thursday, March 25, 2010

There has been a lot of buzz about NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils and how they're better or comparable to MAC Greasepaint Sticks.  Since MAC is releasing a whole new limited collection of Greasepaint Sticks in the upcoming Art Supplies Collection, let's see how these NYX babies hold up.



Quite the opposite of MAC Greasepaint Sticks, NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils run only $4-$5 each.  Sometimes they can be found on NYX websites on sale for $3 or less.  These babies are creamy, pigmented, and have a wide variety of colors.  Here I have the 5 colors I picked up to try out with some MAC eyeshadows.


 French Fries is a brown with gold undertone that can be used for a smokey eye or neutral look.


Oyster is a shimmery lilac/pinkish color that goes well with Lovely Lily or any of the Stacked 1 pigments.

Purple is like its name, a purple color with a hint of blue undertone.  It is very nice to pair with Stars n Rockets or Very Violet.

Black Bean is a slick true black.  It is ideal for a smokey eye look blended out by itself or paired with carbon or any other dark eyeshadow.

Iced Mocha is my all time favorite for a neutral eye look. It is such a unique beige color that it's not overly frosty or shimmery.  This color is so versatile, it can be paired with any eyeshadow for a duochrome look.  Paired with Nanogold, I get this pink beige shimmer color that is just gorgeous.

                                              Click on swatch below for a closer look....
 

Overall these are very pigmented as you can tell from the swatch. I didn't have to swipe it multiple times to get the intensity. These were all done with only ONE swipe!  Any time I use them on my eyes, the most I'll do is 2-3 swipes to get it all over the lid.  They glide on effortlessly and do not tug on the lid like the Greasepaint Sticks do for me.  The downside to these is that they will crease on you even with Urban Decay or MAC Paint Pots.  These are not meant to be used as a base so you will have to layer them on top of a base.  They do help increase intensity to the eyeshadows paired with themYou can even use these as a shadow on days when you don't have time to do a full blown smokey eye but want to have some colors on the lid.  I normally get a good 5 or so hours before they start creasing on the top. But again, I do have very oily lids.   

                                                    Final Verdict?

Love them if you have normal/dry eyelids and want to try a variety of color without breaking your wallet.

Like them if you have really oily eyelids b/c these will crease on you throughout the day even with a good base underneath.  I wouldn't say leave them completely because these will last at least 4-5 hrs before creasing.

8 comments:

Catanya said...

Great blog! I have just discovered it from temptalia. I am now following you!
XX

JC said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting Catanya! How did you find me from temptalia?

Beauty Budget Bombshell said...

I think the nyx is easier to blend & layer than the greasepaints. they also have a larger color selection. but the new greasepaints have this shimmer that adds a new dimension.

naturalnchicmakeup said...

BBB - Agreed! You are spot on between the difference. Both are great but GPS have much more shimmer and glitter.

Laura said...

I have been on here for an hour now- checking out all the cool info.. This is such an informative site.. Well- done! Thank you

naturalnchicmakeup said...

Laura - Thanks!! I'm happy to hear it's helpful for you =)

Robin said...

I like the jumbo e/s pencils! they're cheap and really pigmented. Too bad they crease on me so I don't use it too often. I love iced mocha...it's such a great color for everyday.

Miss Tiff said...

I love the NYX jumbo eye pencils. I purchased some myself a week ago and they're amazing so far. Can't stop using them every day.

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!