Jill Stuart Loose Powder in 04 Glow Swatches and Review

Friday, June 25, 2010

Jill Stuart is a popular high end brand in Asia (primarily found in Japan, Taiwaan, Korea, and Hong Kong) with a good selection of makeup, skincare, and perfume products.  The most notable feature of all Jill Stuart products is the gorgeous packaging.  If you are a lover of pink and very girly/princess designs, I think you'll love the brand.  I fell head over heels with Jill Stuart when I first visited the store during my Hong Kong trip.  I picked up 3 products that I personally was impressed with from the line.  Here I have the loose powder in 04 Glow to review. The loose powder is 20g/0.7oz retailing at 330HKG which translates to about $43USD.



Jill Stuart pays a great attention to detail to packaging including the boxes that house each product.  All of the line's products come in soft pink boxes and some have detailed swirls with the letter J like the loose powder box shown below.  The logo is etched onto the top of the box but is not flat so you can feel the raised design.





























Since this is a product made by Japan, all the words are in Japanese so I'm unable to provide you with the ingredients.  I did take a snap of the back of the package for those of you who can read it.























Once the box opens, you'll be greeted with this beautiful loose powder in a sturdy clear plastic package design.  This is very different from all the usual short stubby round packages we often see with other cosmetics brands.  There is a pointed top cap with Jill Stuart logo etched throughout the sides.

























Side view of the product.  The product includes a powder puff for application that sits on top of the powder itself.  The puff has a cute pink bow on the top as seen here.






















To open the top, simply twist and turn the cap counter clockwise. Likewise you can close it by placing the cap back on top and turning clockwise.




























Below the cute puff is the loose powder which can be dispensed through numerous little holes.  There is a sticker covering the holes in a brand new product. You can either take off the sticker and throw it away or stick it back on after each use. I decided to stick it back on after each use because I don't want the powder to get all over the puff when not in use.























Hold the product and lightly shake or tap left to right in order for the powder to settle down.  To dispense, tilt the package slightly down (not completely upside down or everything will spill out) and lightly shake for the powder to fall out onto the sides of the package.


The loose powder is very finely milled with a pleasant fragrance that comes with every Jill Stuart product.  This is the same fragrance from the perfume in the line, a light flowery smell that is not overbearing or irritating on the nose.  Once applied on the skin, the smell fades so it will not be bothersome or even noticeable.  I had to pack the product on my hand in order to show you how it looks since it is so fine.  There is slight shimmer in the powder and 04 Glow is a more suitable color for my NC25/NC30 skin.  The loose powder comes in 4 different colors with 01 Natural as the lightest suitable for pale skin tone ladies, 02 Shine and 03 Sparkle are much more shimmery with pink undertone, and 04 Glow is for tan/dark skin ladies.

















The powder blends into the skin to give a flawless glow that's not powdery or overly shimmer. You have to get very close to the skin to see a slight shimmer. Obviously you will not use this much powder in one area but you can see even with a large amount, my skin does not look like a giant disco ball. If you are looking for medium/heavy coverage, this is not the intended purpose of this loose powder. This is best used to set liquid and cream foundation for all skin types.  You can either use the puff provided, a sponge, powder brush, kabuki, or stippling brush to apply all over the face.  Like any product, I do not recommend packing on too much especially for dry skin ladies to avoid emphasizing dry patches.
















Overall, I find the Jill Stuart Loose Powder in 04 Glow an excellent product that is comparable to La Mer's Loose Powder.  I have both products but find the JS loose powder fragrance more pleasant and the packaging is definitely much more unique and beautiful. Both powders are equally finely milled but La Mer costs higher at $65USD. The downside to Jill Stuart is the availability of their products outside of Asia.  In the US, you can find JS only at Bergdorf Goodman in New York or you can call the store to have the products delivered since they are not available online. I think the shipping price is $15-20USD. Again this is a high end product that is not cheap or readily available, but I do recommend picking it up if you get a chance.  It is versatile and can be used both every day or on special occasions.  I think Jill Stuart impresses me because it is rare to find a brand that has both great packaging and high quality products.  I really wish JS would come to Nordstrom counters so we can get a hold of them more easily. 

 Would you pick up this powder if you have a chance?  What do you like best about it?

18 comments:

Crystal/Cherry said...

Yeah, I agree that JS is pretty hard to get in the U.S. Thanks is why I really want to go to Taiwan, haha^0^

kali said...

This looks really pretty! I've heard a lot about the Jill Stuart Makeup products but I haven't tried any myself -everything I've seen looks so expensive!

Btw, I'm getting your blog updates again so I guess the feed is working now. =)

resham said...

That Packaging is beautiful...As you suggested, I will try to stay away...I dont have very dry skin, but yes, it is leaning towards the dry side of spectrum...

Dina (XYYan) said...

Great review! I think I'll pick this up if it's not that pricey :D

Miss♥Nikka said...

Beautiful packaging. I dont use any loose powder because I will make a mess and spill it all over the place because im clumsy. >.< I wish I can try this out.

Twinn said...

Im jealous at the fact that you went to hong kong lol the packaging looks so pretty. The product looks really good on the skin. I wanna try it =(

The Bimbo said...

pretty! I've never used Jill Stuart though I have a few friends who do.. will get friends to pick up in HK for me. :)

The Beautifier said...

Its really pretty! love the packaging and the soft pink colour, so very girly (:

Stephanie said...

Great review! This looks like a gorgeous product! I've never owned any Jill Stuart products, but I think they have my favorite packaging. I've always thought Jill Stuart was really expensive, but it comes with twice the amount of a regular powder so it looks completely worth it!

How do you think this would work on oily/very oily skin?

Looking forward to more reviews :)

DANA said...

Jill Stuart is lovely ^^ I also love Coffret D'Or from Kanebo!!

Thanks for your comment in my blog post on NYX cream blush! I'm new to cream blush myself and I must say, when you get the application right, it is niceeeeee =) tip: apply lightly, and you can build up the colour, and if you go overboard, soften it down with powder =)

naturalnchicmakeup said...

Stephanie - It will work pretty well with oily skin and the oil control is not too bad. I have combo skin with oily T-zone and didn't have to blot for a good 6 hours.

Rinz - Hi! Congrats on finishing school. The powder does have a flowery scent but it's not overwhelming. I definitely recommend checking it out.

coffretgorge said...

JS products are the prettiest ones out there! :) i have this in 01, i didnt know it was the lightest shade so now i dont use it much, which is a shame because the puff it came with is super soft! :)

oh the paul & joe whitening serum wont disappoint you, it works! :)

Dina (XYYan) said...

Chili crabs is one of my fave food! :D

Dizzy said...

The packaging looks amazing!

Laura Beth said...

I love the glowing powder look on my cheeks so I would get it, and the packaging seals the deal for me. :)

WillWorkForMakeup said...

I've never tried any jill stuart products but it looks like its worth the price tag. I just can't get over how pretty and girly the packaging is!

LuckyRedLisa said...

Hi! Great review, thanks!! You compared this to La Mer loose powder. I love the glow in the Translucent shade, but it can go a bit chalky on me. From the photos in the (gorgeous!) tub, the Jill Stuart looks like it has a deeper tint to it. What do you think? :)

Kristie said...

Hi LuckyRedLisa. Translucent has much more shimmer in comparison with La Mer's Translucent Loose Powder. I would say Jill Stuart does have a deeper tint in comparison and is definitely not chalky. Hope that helps!

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!