Essie Fall 2010 Swatches and Review

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

It's incredible how quickly Summer has passed and now Fall's right around the corner.  Despite the gloomy and windy weather, Fall is still my all time favorite season.  This year, Essie's Fall 2010 nailed it on the head with a mixture of khaki, rose, mulberry, and deep purple varnishes.  I instantly fell in love with this gorgeous collection the minute I saw it. These are now available on  Essie's website, each retailing at $8USD.



















Out of the 6 colors, I picked up the 4 lighter shades.


Let's jump to the swatches and review!




Sew Psyched is a khaki green with subtle white/silver shimmer that's described by Essie as "cashmere-soft sage pewter".  It is a really beautiful and wearable green that's not gaudy or too bright.  It has just the right amount of green.  I wonder if it's a green mixed with grey to produce this color. I'm not a fan of green varnishes but this khaki is right up my alley.

Limited Edition is an incredibly beautiful garnet, blue-tone red.  I personally think the color speaks for itself.  I'm not sure if there is an exact dupe of this from other brands but it blows my socks off.

In Stitches is a rosy pink that reminds me of one of Lancome's Fall 2010 trio varnishes.  It's a winner for a natural look that's suitable for work or interviews.

Merino Cool is a dark greyish lavender purple that's described as "sensuous autumn mulberry".  The first word that comes to my mind is chic.  I love this color and can definitely see it being worn on runways at NYFW.  However, similar colors have been released by OPI and China Glaze.

Little Brown Dress is a dark chocolate that comes out very dark, almost black brown with 2 coats.  With one coat, it's a chocolate brown.  I didn't pick this up because it's too dark for my liking. Great for vampy varnish lovers.


Velvet Voyeur is described by Essie as " intense chocolate amethyst".  It looks like a dark purple in the packaging but is very dark - almost black with 2 coats.  I also didn't pick this up b/c it's too dark for me.  Again, great for vampy varnish lovers.


All of the varnishes that I picked up apply smoothly and are quite opaque even with 1 coat.  All of the swatches below are done with 2 coats unless otherwise noted.


Here to show Merino Cool with only 1 coat.  It's very different isn't it?  You can apply either 1 or 2 for any of these because they're nicely pigmented.


All of the swatches are taken in natural lighting.  Too bad the sun didn't come out today but I'm glad the colors came out pretty well.

Sew Psyched!


In Stitches!


Merino Cool!


Limited Edition!


Overall, I'm smitten with this collection, especially with the 4 colors that I picked up.  I had no issues swatching these varnishes since they're smooth and opaque. The finish is glossy as shown in the swatches. I definitely see myself wearing these colors for the entire fall season.  There is no doubt, these are "naturalNchicmakeup" recommended shades! If you don't have colors similar to these in your collection, I highly urge you to grab them now.

What are your favorite shades from this collection?  Which will you be picking up?

28 comments:

The Girlie Blog said...

All the colors are pretty, but I really like the red one.

Nikkia (Silver Lips) said...

Great Swatches! I kinda think I need that "Sew Psyched" polish lol

Justine @ Productrater said...

great swatches, sew psyched definitely is a must-have.. merino cool I am not sure, I have a ton of shades like that, would love to see a comparison post!

Cherry said...

I love the Sew Psyched color, it is sooo pretty and very versatile.^0^

pinkribbons said...

I love all of these. I've been searching high an low for a red polish like this! Sew psyched looks more wearable than Chanel's Khaki Vert.

TiffanyMonet said...

I want Sew Psyched! =)

L4pinkpetal said...

I love Merino Cool..... soo pretty!

Pixie D said...

sew psyched and Merino Cool are so pretty =)!
Australia now is selling the last spring collection =(

prettyaspeaches said...

Sew psyched and merino cool and calling my name. Merino cool totally reminds me of Metro Chic (OPI for Sephora color).

the Honey B said...

okay, i need to buy Merino Cool! that is exactly what i've been looking for!! thanks for the post doll!

shortylegsbeauty said...

Merino Cool and Sew Psyched are soo beautiful :) I love them :)
Awesome review hun :)

Marie said...

Limited Addiction!:D

***** Marie *****
allthingsmarie.com

Pinch said...

Oh these are just so perfect! :) Thanks for the swatches, they look so pretty! I'd love to wear these, 'cause they'd be wearable wherever - I wouldn't have to worry about applying it and feeling uncomfortble in it the next day :) Thanks!

Nic Nic said...

Merino cool is my fave :D

Diane said...

I like all four colors but I think I'm loving the In Stitches polish the most. Thanks for the swatches!

Ansa said...

Merino Cools looks so simmilar to Metro Chic by Sephora by OPI. Love all four of these. xx

resham said...

At my ULTA, the whole Essie display of this collection was empty. I think only 2 red colors were ther...:(

Dizzy said...

Merino Cool looks stunning

Kym said...

Little Brown Dress and Limited Edition are my fave!

Kim Hye Rin ♥ 김혜린 said...

love the stitches one shade~

Dina (XYYan) said...

Thanks for the swatches! Merino cool looks so pretty~

Jenny said...

i love their fall collection! i'm going to pick up merino cool :)

MissA* said...

I really like Sew Psyched and Merino Cool.

Twinn said...

I love that brand I def need a few new colors in my nail collection
this is great
xo

Amanda Popko said...

i love essie! great polish,do you buy it in the beauty supply shop to save money?

of course your blog is so rad im following!
please check out and follow mine too :)

http://beautysecretsyouneed.blogspot.com/

amanda

Kristie said...

Hi Amanda - yes! Definitely! They offer the polishes at a much more affordable price.

Blusherine said...

I love "Merino Cool", it looks so pretty, I think I will have to get that!

juuuunn said...

love the colors

http://lovesljd.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!