MAC Venomous Villains Collection Swatches and Review: Evil Queen

Friday, September 24, 2010

Evil Queen  


Lipstick
    Toxic Tale is a very bright coral in Satin formula.  For those who love coral and bright colors, it will be right up your alley.  Those who fear bold shades can definitely wear this by applying a light sheer layer.  It definitely brightens up the face.
    Sinister is a soft brown with plum pearl in lustre formula.  I was expecting this to be a dud but was pleasantly surprised at the swatch.  It's actually a very pretty color! This will certainly be a nice color for medium to dark skin tones.

Lipglass
    Strange Potion is a soft coral pink with pearl.  It is not a dupe for Perennial High Style, which has more pink.  This is a light coral that's really pretty. I can see why it's a popular shade.
    Hot house
is a deep raspberry with pink pearl that's similar to Magnetique l/g.  


without flash:




with flash: 



Eyeshadow
   Her Alter Image is a light violet in Velux Pearl formula that's similar to Beautiful Iris from the permanent collection.  This is a bit more violet compared to BI.
   Vainglorious
is a bronze burgundy in Frost formula.  I can't think of a dupe for this color of the moment.  At first, I couldn't get the color to show up at all but after going back for a 2nd swatch, it came out much better.  It is a pretty color for smokey eye paired with De-Vil.
   Vile Violet
is a deep blue purple in Matte formula that's so so and not particularly unique.



Beauty Powder
   Oh so fair
is a mid-tone pink with gold pearl that's really pretty.  This is one of my favorite color from this collection.  I can see this being flattering especially for light to medium skin tones for a natural flush on the cheeks.

 

Powder Blush
  
Bite of an apple is a bright coral pink blush in Matte formula. It's certainly a bold color but you can sheer it out using a skunk brush.  This color is super bright but also has red tones so for those with red pigmentation, be aware it might accentuate these flaws.

 



Overall, Evil Queen is my favorite set from this collection.  All of the colors are wearable but are a little brighter compared to Cruella de Vil.  My favorite products are the lipsticks, lipglasses, Beauty Powder, and blush.  Again, I did not find any of the eyeshadows particularly enticing because I feel like similar colors have been released.  This set will be suitable and flattering for all skin tones. For those new to MAC, this is a great balance between neutral and bright shades.  Those who are long time MAC collectors may find it underwhelming because the colors are not all that entirely unique.

10 comments:

LolaAM said...

I want Hot House, but have Magnetique so I'll have to compare the two. I wanted Vainglorious, but feel like I'm going to have to swatch that in person along with Vile Violet before I can make final decisions. I might add DeVil to my always changing list,lol

wuguimei said...

Toxic Tale looks *so* tempting, but I don't think I could ever pull off such a shade!

Catanya said...

Oh! Thanks so so much for these swatches! Really useful!
XOXO
Catanya

Dina (XYYan) said...

Evil Queen is my fave from this collection too! I'm eyeing the Strange Potion lipglass :D

yoursignaturehere said...

absolutely love all of MAC's great collaborations!

Dizzy said...

Out of this whole collection Toxic Tale is the one i'm getting 8D

Anonymous said...

received my order today was unimpressed. the revenge is sweet gloss didnt show up on me. violetta was way to dark than i wanted. vainglorious is gorgeous but so small for the money. the mineralize eye shadow in purple was nice but i know there's a dupe. its all going back except violetta i can manage to work with it. there are plenty of dupes out there. you're paying for the packaging

Kristie said...

Anonymous - sorry to hear the colors didn't work out for you. Maybe next time if you can, try out the products in stores before purchasing. I understand it can be difficult to base purchases on swatches alone.

wifluvelle said...

help me! i dont know how to use vile violet!
its as hard as stone, the color wont transfer to my brush nor finger
its so super dry! sob sob
any advice, much appreciated
xoxo elle

Kristie said...

Hi Elle. Sorry to hear Vile Violet dried up. Perhaps try to wet your brush with a mixing medium like MAC's Fix+ and see if you can pick up some color. Good luck!

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!