Guerlain: Perles D'or Meteorites Review

Monday, November 8, 2010

I have always been curious about the meteorites for as long as I can remember.  One time, I was at the Tokyo airport on a layover and wandered into the DFS Guerlain counter to inquire about the meteorites.  The SAs raved about them while swirling a fluffy pink brush around the pearls in the carton box.  They crowded around me like a strange alien who needed to be educated about the wonders of these magic pearls.  One swipe on my hand and my immediate reaction was "whoa..no...glitter galore. PASS!".  At the time, I quite honestly could not justify buying a small carton of glittery pearls for over $50USD.

Fast foward 5 years and here I am introducing you to the Perles D'or Meteorites from Guerlain's 2010 Holiday Collection. This is currently available at Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Nieman Marcus for $56USD. Do you think I've changed my mind on this product?


Guerlain has a permanent collection of 3 meteorites but Perles D'or follows the Holiday 2010 bee theme with special packaging.


The container is no longer made out of cheap flimsy cardboard, but a nice light aluminum in gunmetal color instead of the usual white.  I'm definitely impressed with the elegance of the flower etched on top with a golden bee.  When you lift open the top of the container, you'll see a black sponge sitting on top of the pearls.  This is to help keep the pearls from falling out and breaking during transport.


Remove the sponge to find the multi-color pearls in Perles D'or and a very strong fragrance.  Unless you really like intense fragrances, I don't recommend sniffing the pearls like I did.  This reminds me of rose + mothballs combination in a way.  Not quite what I was expecting.


Inside the container are 5 different color pearls which are all meant to accomplish a different task to create an ethereal glow effect.  


The pearls include shimmery white, beige, apricot, pink, and violet. Some of the colors are meant to even skin tone and provide radiance. If you try out this product on your hand like I did 5 years ago, you will see shimmer galore and be completely turned off.  The best way to test out this product is to use a stippling brush, swirl around to get all the pearls, and then gently swipe all over your face to set a foundation. This does not leave the face like a glittery disco ball at all.  In fact, you end up with a very subtle natural glow that photographs incredibly well.


So did I change my mind about Guerlain's Meteorites based on my experience with Perles D'ore? Yes and no.  For an all-over powder, it does a great job of creating a translucent radiant glow that cannot be captured by the camera or from a swatch alone.  You simply have to apply this on the face to experience the effect.  The packaging is a definite plus in terms of simplicity, elegance, and portability.  I would have no issues packing this along on a trip since it's not overly heavy and the container is sturdy enough for transport.

The biggest turn off for me is the list of ingredients in this product. This is a personal preference because I do have very sensitive, acne-prone skin.  The first ingredient listed for all of the meteorites is Talc, which causes instant acne for me. I've tested out this product for 2 weeks and each time, my face starts off itchy and then red pimples follow at the end of the day. It also has a large, unnecessary amount of fragrance.

Overall, I do like this product to set foundations for a nice soft glow.  It's excellent to use especially on days that you know you'll be photographed. If you are not allergic to talc, I'd recommend checking out Perles D'ore because quite frankly, it's in its own league in terms of an all-over powder.  Do keep in mind that Perles D'ore is not quite a highlighter and definitely too sheer for a blush. Is it a must-have? No.  Nice-to-have product? Absolutely.


Have you tried Guerlain's Perles D'or Meteorites yet?

18 comments:

MUA said...

I've been so disappointed with Guerlain e/s that I am not sure I'd splurge on the Meteorites even though it's one of their "must have" products. The packaging is always so pretty !

Caro xxx

Edwina said...

This is sooo pretty! I've seen this on raeview's youtube channel and already drooling over the packaging! I think I saw something similar that a korean brand has.. i cant remember where i saw it though... it had colourful pearls like this too! I don't think the price was as expensive as this, but I haven't seen any of them in person so I can't speak for the quality!

Thanks for leaving such a nice comment on my blog :)

♥sormui♥ said...

I luv these they give just the prettiest glow but too bad ur allergic to talc

Stephanie said...

I have the mini collection of the Meteorites with 3 of them (beige chic, pink fresh, mythic) and I love them! I use them as a blush, even though it's technically a face powder, and it gives me a nice, healthy glow. It's one of my favorite 'blushes', along with my Chanel blush. This make you think I'm weird, but I really like the smell of them. No, it doesn't remind me of mothballs bc I hate the smell of mothballs. and I like wearing blushes where the glitter is slightly noticeable. I have the Chanel Les Tissages De Chanel Blush Duo Tweed Effect and it's slightly glittery as well.

Basically, it's just based on personal preference.

Kristie said...

Stephanie - I don't think you're weird at all :) Everyone has their personal preferences and I'm highly sensitive to strong fragrances so I can't stand the Guerlain smell. Pink fresh can probably be used as a blush on very pale skin but Perles D'ore is definitely way too translucent for that.

the Honey B said...

Boy is that beautiful!!! I love your posts, but girl, all you make me wanna do is BUY ALL the things you review!!! =]

Miss ♥ Nikka said...

My friends been wanting these but never really paid attention to need. Now i want to check it out!

coffretgorge said...

the new packaging is way better than the previous ones! :) i want to get one, but NO i will not. hahaha :P

Curves ahead makeup said...

Great blog love all the high end make up !!!
new follower hope you can follow too ~~~

The Girlie Blog said...

Thanks for the review! Great info to know. The packaging is very pretty indeed.

Tammy said...

Great review!
I've been eying the new Meteorites too. I have the old one which is unfortunately housed in that flimsy cardboard box as you pointed out :S I also find that their new line is a bit more shimmery than the last. However, I'm glad you enjoy using this product still, love mine despite the poor packaging^^ <3

PinkOrchids said...

Wow, i really enjoyed this review! When i first saw the pearlsi thought, hmm Gurlaine does sweets? lol! but ofcourse it was make-up, but i didn't expect it to be a setting powder? Especially as it was gliitery? How interesting! I would have thought it was a blusher. But you've definitely intrigued me, i may buy it for fun! But too bad about the Talc, I'm not even sure if i'm allergic to it. The product and packaging is still pretty, but way over priced! Thanks for the review! xX

resham said...

I always wanted to know ore about this product. Thanks for this review..It sounds like something I get from Benefit One Hot Minute..I may be wrong...
I would like to know what do you use to set your foundation? I have heard very good things about La Mer Powder, but its 65 bucks and really need to know more....

Fashion Nicotine said...

It looks great!! But I'm not really a Guerlain fan..

Kristie said...

Resham - I usually set my powder with Jill Stuart Loose Powder or Laura Mercier Loose Powder. I used to use La Mer Loose Powder as well and it does a good job in terms of mattifying the foundation. Jill Stuart/LM/La Mer are all about the same in terms of the effect it gives. They do not give a soft glow like Guerlain's Meteorites. If you want to try La Mer, I suggest Translucent since Neutral has pink tint although it's supposed to be well..neutral!

MissA* said...

The only thing I've ever tried from Guerlain was a lipgloss. That's a few years ago and I don't even remember the name.

Joice said...

If I even treat myself to anything from Guerlain, their pearls will be it! I'm such a sucker for good marketing, but these look like the epitome of luxurious makeup.

Hailey said...

Pretty but Expensive.I wish they come up with mini sizes for lesser price.

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!