MAC Wonder Woman Collection Swatches and Review Part I

Thursday, February 10, 2011

MAC's Wonder Woman Collection officially launched at all counters today.  I stopped by my Macy's counter to check out the products and packaging.  Initially I was ready to completely skip everything but a couple of pieces made me change my mind.  I'm personally indifferent towards the packaging because I didn't grow up watching Wonder Woman.  The color scheme directly correlates to the comic with red, white and blue.


Lipsticks ($15.50USD) 
        Marquise D' is a repromote from both the Red, Blonde, Brunette and Holiday 2007 Lip Set Collection.  It is a beige/pink color in the lustre formula.  This would be a nice color for those looking for a nude with a slight tint of color.
        Heroine is a bronze brown in the frost formula.
        Russian Red is a matte red that's part of the permanent collection.  If you don't care for the special packaging, save yourself $1 and buy it in the regular black packaging.
        Spitfire is a magenta in the satin formula.  It is much darker compared to Athena's Kisses.

Lipglasses ($19.50USD) - These are double the size of MAC's regular lipglasses, where the wand is almost as big as my finger!
        Emancipation is a pale pink that's somewhat similar to Devilishly Stylish from the Venomous Villains Collection. 
        Athena's Kiss is a bright fuchsia with pearl.  This color reminds me of Magnetique and Hot House lipglasses.
        Secret Identity is a copper with pearl.
        Wonder Woman is a glossy red with pearl.  This color also reminds me of MAC Wicked Ways from Venomous Villains.

Defiance Eyeshadow Quad ($40USD)
      Defiance is a white pink in veluxe pearl formula.
      Paradise Island is a baby pink in satin formula. This color was somewhat chalky and difficult to swatch.
      Star Studded is a violet pink in satin formula. This was actually my favorite color out of the 4.
      Real Drama is a satin finish dark burgundy that looks rather dark brown on my skin tone.  I had a hard time swatching this color as well.


 Lady Justice Eyeshadow Quad ($40USD) - this was the worst quad out of the 3.
    Lady Justice is a silver with white pearl in the frost formula. This swatch more like a lustre that's chunky with fallout.
    Insurmountable is a blue grey in veluxe formula but swatches like a matte.  I like the color but had a hard time getting the color to show up.
    Deep Truth is a frosty dark blue that's part of the permanent collection.
    Bold Babe is a blue with pearl that's not particularly unique. For some reason, I also had a hard time with this color too.


Valiant Eyeshadow Quad ($40USD)
        Valiant is a lime with yellow pearl in the frost formula.  
        Manila Paper is a veluxe pearl frosty white gold.  It is a repromote from the Spring Colour Forecast Collection.
        Diana Undercover is a dark green in the satin formula but also swatches like a matte. I was particularly frustrated with this color.
        Spinning Transformation is an olive bronze with yellow pearl in the frost formula.  It's pretty but again not entirely unique.


 Pigments ($21USD)
         Marine Ultra is a marine blue that's permanent at MAC PRO.
         Bright Fuchsia is a bright magenta with pearl that's also permanent at MAC.


For the lip and eye products in this collection, I didn't particularly find any of the shades unique or must- haves.  The eyeshadow palettes range from workable to downright terrible (Lady Justice).  As a MAC collector, these quads simply don't justify the price increase.  There are at least 1-2 dud colors in every palette that's chalky and difficult to swatch.  The giant lipglass wand also doesn't justify the price increase from $14.50 to $19.50 either. I know you're getting more for the money but we've seen all of these colors before.

See more swatches of the MSF here.
Swatches of the blush duos and Spitfire comparison can be found here.

7 comments:

MINAKICHU said...

The russian red is to die for, great and clear swatches as ever:-)

faye lu review said...

beautiful swatches! loving anthea's kiss

Cydonian said...

I almost got the Wonder Woman lipglass but the stopper completely turned me off, no red gloss on my shirt for me, thanks. It's ridiculous that they couldn't make the wand pull out properly!

Makeup Magpie said...

Thanks for the review and great swatches. I think I may just get the red nail polish from this collection and possibly skip everything else! :)

Nadine said...

I really like Athena's kisses, I might go try it out + get it

Great post, I didnt know about this but I will most definitly go check it out! xx

FunnyFaceBeauty said...

All of the ladies at my mac were wearing eyeshadow looks using the Defiance quad. They all looked so nice, but I had read on Temptalia that the quads didn't have much pigmentation or lasting power so I didn't grab it

Dizzy said...

I like the looks of athena's kiss! very pretty color.
thx for the swatches!

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!