Wet N Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Trio Swatches and Review Part I

Monday, February 14, 2011

As you may have noticed, there aren't many drugstore products covered on naturalNchicmakeup.  This is primarily because I have had numerous bad experiences with DS make and skincare in the past.  More often than not, I find the eyeshadows sheer, chalky, and lacking quality overall.  Mind you this was years ago before the prices skyrocketed for most drugstore brands.  However, recently I've seen a lot of buzz on beauty blogs for the Wet N Wild eyeshadow palettes.  This certainly has piqued my interest so I made my way to Walgreens to find out why these are so coveted.


Wet N Wild has a wide offering of the Color Icon Eyeshadow Trio.  I picked up 8 of these for review and swatch purposes.  At $2.99USD a piece, I was definitely thrilled with the price.

I want to do a detailed and in-depth review so this will be broken into 2 parts.  The first part will focus on 4 neutral palettes.

Each palette contains 3 colors designed for easy application for browbone, crease, and eyelid.  There is an illustration in the back of where the colors should be deposited on the eye.  This is very helpful for makeup beginners who are unsure of what each terms means.


First up is Knock On Wood, which consists of a soft medium pink, deep brown, and  dark rosewood.  You can see each color is marked with corresponding areas for the eye.   The palettes also come with a sponge tip applicator and a tiny brush.  They all come in very simple black plastic with a top clear cover.


First 2 swipes of Knock On Wood shows that the colors are nicely pigmented but slightly powdery.  The browbone color is always the lightest.  All three shades have subtle shimmer with a  frosty finish.


Here they are on the back of my hand.  I would have to say they are impressive for a drugstore product.  The colors are vibrant and quite pretty.  This trio is pretty much dummy proof since the colors are well coordinated with one another.  I can definitely see a nice soft pink-brown combination for a first date or even every-day office look.


Walking On Eggshells is much more subtle compared to Knock On Wood.  It consists of a frosty white, bronze, and soft beige shade.


With 2 swipes on each color, the browbone shade proves to be the most chalky and powdery. 


My favorite shades have always been the lid and crease due to texture and pigmentation.  I am particularly fond of the soft beige color since I don't have anything similar in my collection.  This is a nice palette for a very soft, subtle look. 


Silent Treatment is one of the more difficult palette to find since it is newer and more popular.  It contains a soft pink, dark brown-black, and taupe shade.


The browbone color is quite lovely but again, more chalky and powdery compared to the other 2 shades. As you may have noticed, the crease shade has gold shimmer, making it a rather unique.  I along with other neutral fanatics love the taupe shade.


On the lid and hand swatches, I would say the browbone is a complete skip due to poor texture but the other 2 colors make a beautiful smokey eye combination.


Sweet As Candy contains a frosty white, medium brown, and frosty pink shade.


For some reason, I immediate thought of Easter bunnies when I saw the frosty pink color.  It is similar to MAC's Swish eyeshadow or a lighter, cool tone version of Da Bling. 


This palette was particularly difficult to capture on photo once swatch on the skin.  I couldn't quite get the pink to show up properly and it took 3-4 swipes to show up on my skin tone.  The browbone color was one of the worst to work with since it is incredibly chalky. I love the crease color but will have to give this trio a pass due to poor pigmentation for 2/3 shades.


Here they are together swatch on my arm.  Although they all look rather similar at first glance, you see can that the shades very in each palette.


Overall, I will say that Wet N Wild truly impressed me with the quality and affordability of these eyeshadow trios.  I like all of the lid and crease colors, but am disappointed with the browbone shades.  I find every single browbone color chalky, powdery, and difficult to work with. Considering the prices of these palettes, however, 2/3 colors is not bad for $2.99USD. 

One thing to definitely consider is the overall finish of these colors on the lid.  For example, when I used Silent Treatment, the blend of lid and crease color came out to be taupe.  I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem but there's a lack of distinction between the shades when they are layered.  I find it better to use the lid color in 1/3 of the eye and crease in the remaining 2/3.  This way, you can see each shade rather than a mesh of just 1 dominant shade.

Bottom line, I do recommend checking these out at your local counter, especially for those who are on a budget or are new to makeup.  These are best for neutral lovers or those who generally steer away from bold colors.  The most pigmented trios from my experience are Knock on Wood and Silent Treatment. 

Which trio speaks to you most?

21 comments:

Angelique said...

I think I bought most of those.. LOL! I still need to break 'em out and use 'em!

FunnyFaceBeauty said...

Im pretty sure I bought most of those the last time I was in the US. I really want to get my hands on the 8 pan palettes but can't find them anywhere! I love wet n wild. They make such great quality items.
xx
Alicia

discoremixx said...

Can't wait to see your swatches! I'm in love with ALL of them!

cryskay said...

cant wait! the palettes look so pretty. xo

resham said...

I bought blushes from this brand. They look pretty. Tried a few only.

Dizzy said...

Yay! can't wait for your review for these!

LolaAM said...

I have some of these, but I don't think I have Knock On Wood. I need that!

Rinz said...

Love the colors! Might wanna give this a try :)

Dizzy said...

some of them look like they might be worth a buy! great review!

Justine (Productrater) said...

I like neutrals and browns, so I find the shadow picks in these a bit weird, pink on the eyes.. not for me. But judging by your swatches they look great, and no wet n wild shadow has disappointed me yet. Silent Treatment probably speaks to me the most. I am waiting for the 8 pan shadows to appear in Canada still!

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh I am SALIVATING over that gorgeous light taupe! Must get it!!!!

makeupbykatie said...

These look so pigmented! Definitely checking these out

Blusherine said...

It's a tie between "Knock on Wood" and "Silent Treatment", but reall, I like them all! I've been meaning to order one of those palettes that have the six shades in them, the neutral one, I have seen that on several blogs and it looks awesome!

Wish I Was Audrey said...

I LOVE the Walking on Eggshells trio!

Julie P. said...

Love your swatches! ahh makes me want to go buy them all. It's really difficult finding that brand period in my area. I got ton's of Walgreens and CVS but they all carry lil or if anything NONE :(

SaraxD said...

I am OBSESSED with Walking on Eggshells! I've already hit pan on the lid shade, and I'm getting closer and closer to running out every day! :( I can't wait to pick up Silent Treatment, though.

wanderluststrikesagain said...

Sorry, but the grammar nut in me is freaking out. It should be *piqued* not *peaked*. I love wet n wild eyeshadows so much!

Anonymous said...

Everyday I use every color in the Walking on Eggshells palette and then I mix the pink lid shade in the Silent Treatment palette! A match made in heaven and it makes my brown eyes pop!

mandy nihiser said...

I have Knock on Wood and love it. It's my fav of what I have right now.

Marina Hill said...

Thanks for the excellent review! It was super helpful!

Marina Hill said...

Excellent review! Love that you gave details for each color swatch. It was super helpful!

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!