Guerlain Terracotta Inca Sublime Radiant Powder Swatches and Review

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

One of the most anticipated item from Guerlain's Terracotta Inca Collection is the Sublime Radiant Powder.  It retails for $70USD and is available at selected Nordstrom/Saks Fifth Avenue Guerlain counters.  Unlike other bronzers that's currently offered from the brand, this has a very unique packaging.



The Sublime Radiant Powder is housed in a round wooden compact with beautiful engravings on the top.

Here is a close up of the Inca inspired design on top of the smooth black wooden compact:


To open the compact, don't try to pry it open.  Instead, hold the base steady and twist the top of the compact counter clockwise. To close, place the cap on top and twist clockwise. I find that this is the easiest method to open and close the product. The compact is held together by 3 small round magnets as shown below.


Flip the top cap over and you'll find a mirror for ease of application. Unfortunately, no velvet pouch or brush is included with this product.


When I opened the product, I noticed right away the gorgeous pattern of the bronzer and the lovely fragrance of Jasmine.  I'm a huge fan of Jasmine so the added fragrance is a bonus.  In fact, I can't stop sniffing the bronzer every time I see it.


A close up shot shows you the shimmer infused in the bronzer.  The middle design is gold while the rest is a medium bronze.


Similar to the cream eyeshadows, I also had a tough time capturing the color in a swatch.  I think it's because I'm already tanned that the color shows up rather light on my skin.  However, a finger swatch will give you a better idea of what the shades actually look like.


The middle color is a shimmery gold as shown.  My one complaint about this design is how easily the Guerlain symbol disappears after a swatch.  Here they are again with brighter lighting.


On my arm, I had to take about 50 shots and still I can't quite capture the true effect of this bronzer on my skin.  I would say it is a shimmery, soft golden bronze with a frosty sheen both on my arm and cheeks. Interestingly, once applied, it has a bit of a pinkish tone on my olive skin tone.  I am a bit more tanned compared to the winter but I was not expecting this effect. 


The gold shade is a true shimmery gold on me.  When I swipe all the colors together, I get a golden pink bronze shade as shown below on the very first stripe (L to R). I imagine this might look a bit more brown/bronze on lighter skin tones and less brown/bronze on darker skin tones. In fact, I think it would give a beautiful highlight glow on darker skin tone ladies.


You can make the shade more gold by layering more of the middle color on top.  For those of you who do not like shimmer or frosty finishes, this bronzer will not be for you.  When I first tested it out with a MAC 116 brush, I did not like how it looked on me.  The color was very frosty, almost reminiscent of a MAC MSF, but smoother.  I like the product much better when I used a MAC 187 or any stippling brush to apply this on the cheeks.  It gives a subtle bronze glow without being too frosty or shimmery.


Overall, I really like the beautiful designs on both the packaging & bronzer, as well as the lovely Jasmine fragrance included in this product.  It is designed to be used both for the face and body.  At a whooping 0.51 oz, I don't think I will ever be able to finish this bronzer.   There's no doubt this is a high quality product which produces a beautiful bronze effect that's not too brown or orange.  It does give this "glow within" type of effect on the skin. With that being said, $70USD is quite a steep price for a bronzer.   Even a makeup lover like myself still cringe at the price although it is gorgeously designed.

Bottom line: If you're on a budget, I would recommend checking this out in person, ask to apply it onto your cheeks, and then make a decision. There are lower priced bronzers from Guerlain's Terracotta line you may want to consider instead. If you don't like shimmer or frosty finishes, this will be a skip. Those who are not on a budget, I would still recommend applying this onto yourself first before taking the plunge. I will say though, this is for sure an aesthetically pleasing piece, especially on anyone's vanity/bathroom counter.

To see swatches and reviews of the cream eyeshadows and Terre Indigo 4 Shadow Palette, check them out here and here.

What are your thoughts on the Sublime Radiant Powder? Is it a yay or nay for you?

13 comments:

Ishah @ Beauty Mamas said...

It's really beautiful, both the design and the colour. I love Jasmine too, so that's an added plus!

Diane said...

I have been waiting for you to do this post. This powder is beautiful. I was scared at first thinking it was just a straight bronzer, I always have issues with bronzers. I don't mind shimmery powders, you're right it does sorta remind me of a MAC MSF. I'm hoping to get this soon, not sure yet if I want to drop $70 on it.

The Ultimate Makeup said...

Outstanding review, I felt like I was opening the product right there with you! The pictures are amazing, the compact is absolutely gorgeous. The bronzer is much more shimmery and frosty than I expected. It would look fabulous as a body bronzer, however I'm not quite sure how it will look on my face. I guess I really need to wait for it to get to a store near me ahhh can't wait! Haha!

Thank u for the review!

Ps did you get it at saks or nordies?

Kristie said...

Ishah @ Beauty Mamas - Yes, the Jasmine smells so divine! It's definitely a nice plus.

Diane - Hopefully the review was helpful for you. I figured you might be interested in the gold portion of the product ;) Definitely try it out in person first since it looks different on certain skin tones.

The Ultimate Makeup - I got it at Nordies! I didn't want to pay the $7.50 shipping fee from Saks. Hope you get to see it in person because it does look very different on compared to the pan :)

Urban Warrior said...

Great review! I'd love to see how it looks on your cheeks :) I'm still in love with this piece and use it every single day <3

Cosmetics Aficionado said...

It's beautiful, but I am just not into frosty or shimmery bronzers. So why do I still want this? lol

Larie said...

Beautiful swatches, and thanks for the review! Frost finishes are a no go for me, so now I can safely cross this off my list! Phew :)

Vintage Makeup said...

That is beautiful! :)

Great swatches.

..R May A.. said...

great review :)
love how this looks!! x

Beauty Addict said...

Wow, it looks stunning! I'm a huge fan of Guerlain.

Anyways, in regard to your comment,
I only had that problem once, when I tried using a cheap regular polish instead of Konad special polish. Honestly, I do prefer using Konad special polish as the image seems much more clear and even. When stamping, I also put a bit of pressure on and I don't wait too much for my colour base to dry - around 5 min. I also kinda of gently roll my finger in an opposite direction while rolling the stamper onto my fingers. Hope this helps!!

Makeup Magpie said...

I LOVE this bronzer! It looks very natural. Don't forget Saks Friends & Family discount April 28th -- it's only 10% but helps a little to offset the cost of these expensive items :)

resham said...

Lovely shade (Lighter Part). Too frosty though...Thank you for the swatches...Just now read the post about Dior Bronzers on the beautylookbook Blog...Those are nice too..

Delyteful Speaks said...

This is real pretty but way too frosty for my taste.. I have my eyes on Dior Aurora.. Super soft and gorgeous!

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!