Chanel Rose Platine Stylo Yeux Waterproof Eyeliner Swatches and Review

Monday, May 23, 2011

Rose Platine Stylo Yeux Waterproof Eyeliner was released in Chanel's Summer 2011 Collection. It retails for $29USD and is advertised as a "waterproof, smudge-proof eyeliner". When Ilse from TheUltimateMakeup first raved about this eyeliner, I knew it was on my list of things to check out. 


I have a ton of eyeliners from MAC and Urban Decay but have yet to purchase one from Chanel.  In all honesty, I really thought $29USD was rather expensive for an eyeliner. I wasn't really blown away by any of the previous colors until Rose Platine made its appearance.

Rose Platine is a twist up pencil that is similar to MAC's Technakohl packaging. 
At first glance, it's a simple pencil with nothing extraordinary about it.  However, read the inserts carefully and  you will find a cute little treasure hidden.  Lightly tug at the end of the pencil to find a mini sharpener.


I really like the sharpener, which is very convenient for traveling purposes.


It makes my palm look ginormous.


If you're unsure how to use the sharpener, Chanel included a tutorial complete with step-by-step instructions.


When I first saw Rose Platine, I was really drawn to the color from the pencil.  It isn't completely silver or taupe.  I can best describe it as a taupe with a hint of brown and a party of shimmer.


Close up of Rose Platine. Doesn't it look like a confetti party? There are silver, rose, and green shimmers infused with taupe.  It's rather tough to decipher all of the colors in the eyeliner. 


Aside from the usual blacks, browns, blues, and purples, I haven't found a perfect neutral color eyeliner. I went through my collection and pulled out the 2 colors that I thought might be similar.  Below are comparisons of Rose Platine with Urban Decay's Gunmetal and MAC's I Get No Kick. 


Swatches taken in lower light conditions.  Rose Platine is a taupe with obvious shimmer, UD Gunmetal looks bluish gray, and MAC I Get No Kick is a frosty champagne. I have nothing in my collection that looks remotely close to Rose Platine.


Swatches done by the window. Here, you can see Rose Platine leaning a bit brown compared to the swatches above.  On my eyes, it is a shimmery taupe that instantly brightens up the eye. I use it exclusively to rim my bottom lashes.  It doesn't show up as well on the top lashes unless layered on top of a darker color.


 I really wanted to test out Chanel's claim on Rose Platine as a waterproof, long lasting eyeliner. After leaving the swatch for about 30 minutes, I did a scrub test on all 3 liners.  I used a Kleenex and scrubbed as hard as I can over the swatches.  Aside from the shimmers slightly rubbing off, Rose Platine simply did not budge.  UD Gunmetal gave up a nice fight while MAC's Eye Kohl was practically non-existent.


Rose Platine glides smoothly on the eyes without tugging and lasts a full 9-hr work day for me.  Again, I only use this to rim my bottom lashes.  It doesn't bother my eyes as I do not experience shimmer fallout. I kept on pondering if I should purchase a back up since it is limited edition.  I wavered until  it disappeared from Chanel's website.  It is sold out from Nordstrom's website and my local counters. Surely panic ensued for a couple of days before I found the last one at a Macy's counter.

Bottom line: I personally love Rose Platine and highly recommend checking it out if you can.  I have been using it every single day, which says a lot considering how many eyeliners I own.  It is great at making my eyes look bright and fresh without being too white or shimmery.  Rose Platine is my very first eyeliner and Chanel backup.  It is unique, pigmented, and has excellent wear time. If Chanel ever decides to release an eyeshadow in the same shade as Rose Platine, I will be the first in line to grab one!

What are your thoughts on Rose Platine? Any potential dupes?

15 comments:

Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup said...

I love Rose Platine, haven't come across any dupes yet though. I'd be interested to see if anyone recommends one.

Dovey said...

The color looks really lovely for the lower lash line. Unfortunately it seems like Ive been wavering a bit too long myself! I love your Kleenex test, and I'm quite impressed by the results =)

Rei said...

So beautiful, I love any eye makeup in the shade of taupe. I can't wait to get my hand on it!

PinkOrchids said...

Wow it's so pretty!!! Please let me know if you do find any potential dupes! I agree with the above, it would be lovely for the lower lash line. xX

Eileen said...

The taupe, pink, and green sparkles in Rose Platine correspond to the colors in the Lilium quad. This was a beautifully conceived eyeliner and eyeshadow combination. Bravo Chanel!

Diana said...

I Love the Stylo Yeux Water Proof Eyeliners. They are my HG eyeliners because of the color payoff, and staying power. The black is sooooo dark and inky!

This is a color I still can't wait to get my hands on! I plan to wear it on the inside of my lower lashes, or smudged out along the bottom lash line for light definition!

Makeup Magpie said...

I absolutely love Rose Platine and also use it for the lower lashline. It is definitely backup-worthy! :) Great photos!

Zuzu's Petals said...

Beautiful photographs! Oh my lord. I don't like eye pencils, but I could definitely change my mind for this. It's like Laura Mercier Topaz in a slim stick.

Sarah said...

I love this liner! I bought it about two weeks ago after seeing some online swatches and knowing that I couldn't resist! The one dupe I was wondering about, but which is also hard to obtain, is Clinique's Cocoa (I think, was it Cocoa?) creamliner ... it was out last summer or the summer before as part of a limited-edition double-ended liner? It would be less expensive...but I haven't had a chance to check the CCO or ebay yet. Just a thought...

Diane said...

You're going to laugh at me. I have these eyeliners in like 6 different colors, I never knew they came with a sharpener. I read your post and ran to check out my eyeliners and sure enough they all had sharpeners. LOL I'm slow.

I love this color and now I think I need to get it, but I don't think I will be able to find it anywhere. =(

Delyteful Speaks said...

I had the Chanel Eyeliner in black and it was gorgeous! Super smooth.. This looks sooo beautiful! I'll definetly check it out next time i'm at a mac counter.. Thanks so much for the swatches =)

Kristie said...

Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup - me too! I'd like to know an alternative color since this is LE.
Dovey - ah no I hope it's not sold out where you live. I too was impressed with the staying power of Rose Platine.

Rei - Hope you will be able to grab one!

PinkOrchids - Sure will! I'm waiting for a dupe as well.

Eileen - I never thought of the connection until I saw your comment. Thank you for imparting your wisdom with us! Indeed bravo Chanel.

Diana - Great idea! I haven't tried out the black one yet but Black Shimmer is super pretty as well.

Makeup Magpie - yay!! I'm glad you are loving this as well.

Zuzu's Petals - Laura Mercier Topaz..ooh! I will check it out the next time I'm at a counter.

Sarah - Thanks for the dupe recommendation. I will keep an eye out for it at the CCOs.

Diane - haha no worries. It's normal. I usually don't read the inserts either but somehow I caught it this time. It's such a nifty little sharpener!

Delyteful Speaks - I need to check out the black liner soon. Looks like a thumbs up for that one as well.

delaneyjane said...

I got mine off of Neiman's website about a week ago, they were still in stock, with free shipping no less!

Nic Nic said...

the travel sharpener is so cool!

Looks super pretty - looks like a great liner for the lower lash line!

Mariza said...

Diane - I didn't know about the sharpener either! I have a ton of their eyeliners and I think this is the most gorgeous color!

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!