Guerlain Terracotta - Terra Inca Mosaic Compact Swatches and Review

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Guerlain Terra Inca Mosaic Compact is a new addition to Guerlain's Terracotta Collection.  It is limited edition and retails for $69USD.  This weighs 0.98 oz, almost twice the size of Guerlain's previously released Terra Inca Sublime Radiant Powder (0.51 oz).  I also did an in-depth review of Terra Inca here.


The packaging for Mosaic is much simpler with a sturdy plastic compact.  This also does not contain a mirror or a brush.

The compact is rather large compared to the palm of my hand.

Flip open the bronze top lid to find a beautiful intricate design of Guerlain's logo.

Guerlain describes this as a "mosaic of sun-kissed shades with ochre and gold tones to illuminate your tan. Apply Terracotta Mosaic to face, shoulders, neck and décolleté to enhance any tan with a subtle shimmery effect ".   When I look at this design, I am somehow reminded of cobblestone streets in Europe.  There is something rather romantic about the Mosaic. 


Taken with flash:

As suspected, the gold shimmer is only an overspray and disappears after 1-2 swipes.  I was quite sad to see half of it gone.
Here's a close up shot of the powder. 

Taken again with flash:

Below is a size comparison between the Mosaic and Sublime Radiant Powder.  The Mosaic costs $1 less compared to the Sublime Radiant Powder.  I believe this is due to the special wooden packaging vs. a regular plastic compact.

Here they are side by side:

I was expecting the Mosaic to have the same beautiful Jasmine fragrance as Terra Inca Sublime Radiant Powder.  Unfortunately, Mosaic has a typical floral perfume fragrance instead of Jasmine.

Judging from the pan alone, Terra Inca looks more pink compared to Mosaic.  This is true to swatch as well.  Mosiac is brown with gold shimmer whereas Terra Inca is a frosty pink brown.


Mosaic is not as frosty compared to Terra Inca but the shimmer is obvious once applied on the skin.  However once all of the gold overspray disappear, you're left with a soft satin finish bronzer with subtle shimmer. Below are swatches by window sunlight.

Swatches taken with flash:

When I applied Mosaic on my cheeks, I get a nice subtle tan.  This is also a very nice shade for contouring.  Out of all the new products released, I would consider this a true bronzer because it has no orange or pink undertones to it. I used a dense blush brush and to my amazement, it did not look as though I rubbed dirt on my cheeks.  I think it will be rather difficult to go overboard with this bronzing powder since it's so finely milled. You can definitely use this on your decollete or body as well.  I think it will be a lovely contour/highlight for darker skin tone ladies and definitely a bronzer for light/pale skin tone ladies.

Overall, I actually like Mosaic since it is pigmented, wearable, and has a gorgeous design.  It is not cheap at $69USD but you do get a lot of product.  It is very different compared to Terra Inca Sublime Radiant Powder in design, texture, and packaging.

Bottom Line: Without a doubt, this is a collector's item.  If you're on a budget, you may want to check out  Guerlain's lower priced bronzers.  If you don't like a shimmery bronzer, this may not be for you.  Those who are not on a budget and want a wearable bronzer that provides a soft, subtle glow, definitely check out Mosaic.

Is Mosaic a yay or nay for you?

25 comments:

Edwina said...

Whoaa so pretty that I wanna eat it!!! @_@ ok.. weird thing to say :S

It's so nice! but I'm definitely on a budget.. gahhhh

Diane said...

Okay serious question. I didn't get the Guerlain Inca Bronzer yet. Which one do you think I should get the Inca Bronzer or the Mosaic? Both look amazing. I hate these tough choices!

Kristie said...

Hey Diane - It really depends on what you're looking for. Inca is frostier and is a smoother version of MAC's MSF. Mosiac is more of a traditional bronzer with gold shimmer. In all honesty, both of them don't necessarily have the most unique shades. Mosaic is more wearable in that it's not as frosty. However packaging-wise, Inca wins hands down with the wooden compact and Jasmine fragrance. At the end of the day, do you want unique packaging vs. bigger design.

Dovey said...

Both are simply gorgeous in the pan! I'd have to say I like Mosaic better from your swatches.

pinkribbons said...

Such a pretty and versatile bronzer for the face and body. I think Guerlain creates the best bronzers on the market every summer.

Jane said...

I just order the Mosaic bronzer because of your swatches. I didn't order the Inca bronzer because of how frosty it was and looked more like a highlighter, but I love how Mosaic can be used more like a true bronzer.

Rinz said...

Thats effin hugeeeeeeeee!!! oh my god! it would take me forever to finish. I am thinking of getting the terra-cotta. wondering if its good as a bronzer?? what do u think?

Kristie said...

Rinz - Are you referring to Mosaic? It is a nice bronzer that's natural and subtle. I find it as a really nice contour as well.

Liz (Beauty Reductionista) said...

They're both so beautiful. I can't justify the price but I'd definitely pick up both if I could afford to splurge!

coffretgorge said...

the design reminds me of a floor tile hehe the swatches look good though! but im not THAT into bronzers so im happily skipping this LE baby! YES!!! :D

thanks for the review babe!

Urban Warrior said...

Wow ... I love the shade - the design of Terra Inca was more attractive to my eye, however the way this swatches ... you got me! But the price tag this time might be a deal-breaker - I can't afford to be buying a $70 powder every month :/ Btw. I hope you don't mind - I made a short note about the release of this bronzer and linked to your blog for real life photos and swatches ;)

PinkOrchids said...

So gorgeous!! xX

Zuzu's Petals said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Kristie! You hardly need words with such wonderful pictures and swatches/comparisons.

LittleKristy.com said...

This is a wonderful bronzer! I would love to have the mosaic but unfortunately I have not much money, I would ask you if I can find a mosaic dupe in mac bronzer
thank you

Kristie said...

LittleKristy - Thanks for dropping by! I don't own any MAC bronzers to do a dupe comparison. However, you may want to check out their permanent bronzer in Refined Golden. It does have subtle shimmer and leans a bit more coral compared to Mosaic.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Greetings from a fellow makeup/skin care addict in San Francisco. Great review!! I have avoided bronzers for the longest time until year after I saw Inca. The frost didn't bother me and now I am off looking for something to contour. I am not looking for a too tanned look and I am wondering if you have any Armani bronzer in your dash. someone has suggested me to use Armani Sheer blush #5 to contour and Armani Bronzer #1. I am asian with fair to medium skin tone (for reference, I wear chanel cameo/ivorie 1.0 intensity or Armani LSF #5). All of a sudden I find myself in a quest for the best bronzer for myself, I have tried Dior Aurora and find it a bit too peachy for my taste. any suggestions? you think Mosaic will work well for me?

Thanks

Daisy

luv2smilexo said...

daanngg that thing is huge. I love that its less shimmery than the inca

Kristie said...

Hi Daisy - Unfortunately I do not have any Armani bronzers for comparison. I definitely think Mosaic will work for you because it is quite subtle. I have also heard great reviews on Edward Bess bronzers. Have you had a chance to try out Chanel's Bronze Rose or Bronze Corail? The brown stripes on those two are incredibly flattering and great for contouring as well.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristie,

No I have't tried Chanel's Bronze Rose yet, I think I should.

Great blog! Have a great memorial weekend.

Daisy

Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup said...

That sucker is large! No mirror though? I find that to be a bummer!

Rinz said...

yeah mosaic with tiny little rounded balls LOL. :D thanks for the info

Radiant.MakeUp said...

great review - I love the design and packaging of this product - it looks so luxurious!! x

Kristie said...

Edwina - hahah it kind of does look like a plate. If you're on a budget, maybe check out other brand's lower priced bronzers (MAC, Guerlain, Shiseido, etc).

Dovey - Mosaic is definitely more of a bronzer compared to Inca.

pinkribbons - I agree! They do make beautiful bronzers with gorgeous designs.

Jane - yay! I hope you like it.

Liz (Beauty Reductionista) - I know what you mean. It's not the most affordable bronzer out there.

coffretgorge - haha good job Georgina! Save $ for the next Chanel collection!

Urban Warrior - not at all. Thank you for thinking of me!

PinkOrchids - sure is!

Zuzu's Petals - thank you. You always leave the sweetest and kindest comments!

luv2smilexo - it is less frosty but does have quite a bit of shimmer :)

Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup - definite bummer. It would be useful to include a mirror.

Radiant.MakeUp - thanks. Guerlain always knows how to make their products so luxurious!

productdoctor said...

I really like Mosaic, however I picked up the sublime terra inca powder. I use it as a highlight on my cheekbones and nose. It works beautifully on my dark skin!

resham said...

Beautiful Pattern....

"There is something rather romantic about the Mosaic".

So true....:)

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!