Tokidoki Gelato Lip Balm Stain Swatches and Review

Friday, June 10, 2011

Despite my love for cosmetics, I do not have a single makeup item inside my purse. I usually apply my makeup before work and will come home with whatever is still left on my face. I don't reapply lipstick, blush, or powder. However on days with special occasions in the evening, I always apply my trusty Chanel Rouge Allure Lacque.  I know that no matter what happens, my lips will still look good at the end of the day.  Imagine my surprise to find Tokidoki Gelato Lip Balm Stain producing a similar effect but at roughly 1/3 of the price of Chanel.  You can find these at Sephora for $9USD.


The Lip Balm Stain comes in a twist-up tube with a Tokidoki design plastic cap. The plastic is not super sturdy but not all that flimsy either. I think the design is fun but it surely doesn't scream elegant or chic like Chanel's packaging.

At first glance, Skeletrina looks scary in the tube.  It looks almost black in certain lighting.  Under the sun light, you'll find that it's actually a dark grape/purple shade.  Donutella is a bright coral in the tube and Pink Martini is a bright pink.  All of these shades have no shimmer or glitter.  


Donutella is a peachy coral, Skeletrina is a plum, and Pink Martini is a rosy pink.  True to swatch, each of the shades are glossy, moisturizing, and leave behind a nice stain.


Swatch in darker lighting. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable and moisturizing these felt on my lips.  They are true to the descriptions found on Sephora:  "a lip balm with moisturizing and staining properties". Since these oxidize with time, take caution not to over apply or the colors may look too bright or gaudy. I recommend swiping on a light layer first, wait for about 10-20 seconds, and then put on another layer if you want more color.  I also made the mistake of putting on too much at first.


Overall, these are fun and affordable lip products to help moisturize your lips, make them glossier, and provide a long lasting stain throughout the day.  I don't think I have found anything equivalent from high end brands. The biggest downside to them are the artificial fragrances added (grape, melon, cherry).  Although the smell dissipates after 2-3 minutes after application, they still remind me of Bonne Belle lip balms. These are also not sticky or tacky on the lips.  

Bottom Line: This is a fun product for those on a budget looking for a glossy lip balm/stain. They're easy to pack along and great for those swipe-and-go days. The shades are not for those who are color shy.  If you're afraid of bright colors, you may want to try out the clear version in Ciao Ciao. If you don't like sweet artificial fragrances, this might not be suitable either.  I like them for the moisturizing, glossy, and staining effect.  They're not Chanel's Rouge Allure Lacques but at $9 a piece, they perform pretty darn well.

Are Tokidoki Gelato Lip Balm Stains a yay or nay for you? What are some of your favorite long wearing lip products?

16 comments:

Jessy said...

i wanted to buy them, but i have enough lip product as it is~~~~so im gonna pass o nthem, but they look seriously cute and i luv the packaging


jessy

BombbDotCom said...

Hi Kristie!:)
I'm the same exact way, I never take any of makeup with me on the go.
I'm like dying over these lip stains though. =0 I had no idea they had such great color pigmentation, and for their price, it would be crazy not to try them!=) They look so juicy, I need to make a trip to Sephora, ASAP! lol

The only lip stain that i've tried and actually liked, so far, is the one from Tarte. Ever tried it? It sounds similar to these, they're also very moisturizing.

Well thanks so much for the swatches girl!=)
xoxo

-Norma

The Ultimate Makeup said...

These look really promising! Thanks for sharing them with us, I'll be sure to try them. Ps speaking of Chanel Rouge Allure Lacques, have u seen the new Bare Minerals Pretty Amazing Lipcolors? I'm so curious about them!

Keri said...

Oooh these are cute :)

Zuzu's Petals said...

I love reading what everyone carries in their makeup bag but mine is so boring. I have a Jane Iredale pressed powder, a slim case of tooth brush picks, a panty liner (yes, so romantic!), a nail file, Shiseido blotting leaves, and whatever lipstick I am wearing that day. The lip item is the only thing that gets changed daily, and now that my skin is less oily I almost never take out the compact or blotting papers. (Happily my makeup stays put for 12 hours or more, thanks to gel eyeliners and Blinc mascara.)

These lip balm/stains look adorable, and they are exactly the kind of thing (for the price) I could leave all over the place, like in my desk at work. Skeletina would be my color! Thanks for the great review and swatches.

Ishah @ Beauty Mamas said...

I have Pink Martini and I LOVE it!! I really want Donutella as well, but it's always sold out :(

coffretgorge said...

oh wow they are pigmented for lip balms! thank you for the most enabling swatches as always! :P

Rinz said...

alright, i love that pink martini!!!! OMG its so cute!

Dizzy said...

AWWW so cute! I'll have to get these for sure!

Liz (Beauty Reductionista) said...

I've been looking for Donutella for MONTHS now but it's always sold out at all the Sephoras I hit. It looks amazing here. One of these days, it'll be mine!

pinkribbons said...

These are so cute! They look super glossy which is what i like about them the most.

Dovey said...

What an intriguing review---- I've always thought Tokidoki was supercute, but never thought to pick any up. I think Donutella is my favorite of the bunch and perhaps I'll try it in store next time I'm at sephora.

I'm also a girl who doesn't like to tote around makeup. Maybe I'll take lipstick for after lunch, but mostly what goes on is what stays on for the entire day!

Shortylegsbeauty said...

Aaw those are so adorable :) Wish we could buy them over here in Finland too :)

resham said...

These look Cute..

Blusherine said...

These shades are so so pretty and the packaging is adorable! Two thumbs up!!

Janinay said...

So pretty! :D

http://monsterprettyinthecity.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!