Urban Decay 15th Anniversary Eyeshadow Palette Swatches and Review

Friday, July 29, 2011

Urban Decay 15th Anniversary Eyeshadow Collection is a limited edition palette.  It retails for $55USD and contains 15 brand new eyeshadow shades.  You can purchase this from Urban Decay's website, Sephora counters or online, and at Macy's counters. Some Ulta stores may also carry them as well. 


When the palette first came out, it was immediately sold out.  I was particularly attracted to this palette due to the beautiful packaging and combination of shades.  The other BOS usually have mostly bright shades, which I personally cannot always pull off. 


I was ecstatic when my local Sephora counter had this in stock.  I had previously seen this at a local Macy's counter and played with it prior to making a purchase decision. First let's talk about the packaging.  I was very surprised to find the beautiful gunmetal top cover nestling deep inside a purple velvet box.  I expected it to cover the top of the box, not stuck inside.



It took some prying to get the top cover out...


Just as expected, it is a gorgeous gunmetal top cover with intricate designs on all 4 sides.  It also has purple gems in the letters U and D engraved on top.


Once you remove the eyeshadow palette, you can reuse the box to store jewelry or other little trinkets.

Below is the eyeshadow palette with the cover and base.


Without a base, the eyeshadow palette is thin but the plastic is quite sturdy. The top cover also includes a large mirror.


There is a half moon slit at the bottom right corner of the palette to help you remove it from the base.

I know many people wonder if the shades are actually new or recycled colors from previous BOS. I can't quite answer for the bold colors but the neutral shades are not exact dupes for those in the Naked Palette. This palette has 3 really bold shades in Junkshow, Evidence, and Deep End while the rest are more on the neutral side.


Midnight Rose is a glittery taupe brown.
Tainted is a unique lavender pink with a gold sheen. This shade is slightly chalky.
Deeper is a bronze brown with gold shimmer.
Midnight 15 is a beige/champagne with medium glitter bits.
Junkshow is a bright fuchsia with purple. It looks almost like a duochrome in certain angles.
M.I.A is a chocolate brown with subtle shimmer


All 6 of these shades are nicely pigmented although some of the darker shades crumbled a bit when I swatched them with my fingers.  Midnight 15 is interesting because it's gray in certain angles and slightly beige in others. Midnight Rodeo has the largest glitter bits compared to all the other shades.


Vanilla is a light yellow gold. It reminds me of a pretty version of MAC's Nylon.
Omen is a light purple with a blue base.  It looks also like a duo-chrome.
Ace is a sooty gray with tiny shimmers.
Flow is a light frosty peach.
Evidence is a dark navy blue.
Blackout is a matte black with no shimmer. It is quite chalky.


Out of these shades, I find Blackout the most difficult to use because it is chalky and took at least 5 swipes to be opaque.  Flow is actually a lot peachier in darker lighting and Vanilla is more yellow.


Chase is a light golden brown that is lighter than Deeper.
Deep End is a bright teal in the pan but swatches more blue than green.
Half Truth is a medium purple with a frost finish.


Here are the shades again in direct sunlight:


Although I'm usually not a huge fan of eyeshadow palettes, I think this is actually a winner.  Out of the 15 shades, I only found Blackout and Midnight Rodeo to be more difficult to work with.  The rest of the shades are beautiful and pigmented.  Some darker shades are also crumbly so don't pick up too much or you'll find small chunks falling onto your face during application. As for the packaging, both the top cover and the palette itself attract a lot of fingerprints. You can remove all of the smudges by wiping it with a microfiber cloth, like a pair of glasses.

Bottom line: For $3.67USD a shade, this palette is both affordable and versatile. It is not as glittery compared to previous BOS or the Naked Palette.  If you don't have any of the palettes from Urban Decay, this is a good one to pick up.  For those on a budget or already own all of the previously released palettes, do check this out. I think you'll find this much more wearable.  It's an overall thumbs up from me for packaging, pigmentation, color variation, and texture.

Comparisons between the neutral shades in this palette and the Naked palette can be found here.

What are your thoughts on this palette? Yay or nay?

9 comments:

AngelicBetrayal said...

Beautiful pictures! I saw a ton of these palettes at the Sephora in Times Square last week and I made myself resist XD I have their BOS II and III and to be honest, I've never really used the 3rd edition.... If I didn't have so many eyeshadows already, I'd buy this in a heartbeat! All of the shades are screaming "BUY ME" haha

Carrie said...

This was in my Sephora wishlist! THanks for reviewing it. It looks great, just as I thought. All of the colors are so pigmented, i love it!

Have a great weekend!

:)
Carrie
http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com/

Georgina said...

YAY all the way! the packaging is beautiful and the shadows look good, worth splurging for IMO.

Makeup Magpie said...

Great pictures and excellent review! I have been meaning to get this palette for a while and ordered it online earlier today, since they didn't have it at my local Sephora. It looks like a great palette that will hopefully get a lot of use! :)

Polarbelle said...

Amazing pictures. You could make me want poop on a stick. The analysis of the price per shadow really helps. It's a great value, with maybe only one stinker in the bunch. I hear I'm on a no buy for awhile, but I may pick this up in time. If i do, it's all your fault, just so's you know.

Curves ahead makeup said...

love this pallet great review thanks for sharing

Zuzu's Petals said...

Gorgeous images, as always, Kristie. This is a palette I could get behind, as it has so many lovely cool colors and I didn't notice any chunky glitter in your swatches. I think I'd buy based on MIA, Deeper, and Ace alone!

Alexis the Honey B said...

I just got this!!!! I cant wait to use it! amazing review, thank you for the swatches!

PolaBerry said...

I love this palette! I had to have it!

I did my first look with it today :]

you can check it out on my blog

polaberry.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!