Byzance de Chanel - Topkapi Quad Swatches and Review

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Topkapi is a limited edition eyeshadow quad that is released in the Byzance de Chanel Collection.  It retails for $65USD and can be purchased on Chanel's website, at selected Chanel boutiques, and Nordstrom Seattle.


The quad is made is Italy whereas the blushes are produced in France.


This quad includes 2 black sponges and a glossy black cover.  Most of the other Chanel quads have clear plastic covers.


Topkapi's design is also much more intricate compared to Chanel's other eyeshadow quads.  The Chanel logo and quilted pattern are imprinted in each of the four shades.



A close up of the quad shows the multi-color shimmer in each color.  Topkapi includes a silvery taupe with multi-color shimmer, a gold with gold shimmer, a rich chocolate brown with multi-color shimmer, and a dark burgundy brown with multi-color shimmer.


Here is the Topkapi in direct sunlight:


A close up shows the different color shimmer in each pan.  This quad is so visually stunning that I literally did not want to swatch or use it.


The first swatch is with indoor lighting, where the shimmer is not as noticeable. All of the shades in Topkapi have superb pigmentation.  The colors went on smoothly without any glitter or shimmer fallout.


Image below was taken with flash.  As with most quads, I generally like 2 out of the 4 shades.  In Topkapi, I love every single one of them.  All of the shades work well together to create both safe neutral looks as well as bold eye statements. 



In darker lighting, the taupe shade looks very similar to Rose Platine, where there is a hint of pink with silver shimmer.



Here's how the shades look in the late afternoon sunset.  They are richer and darker.


Topkapi is easily my favorite Chanel quad right now.  I can see myself using this quad very often because the colors are neutral, yet they can be intensified to create really beautiful bold looks.  Right after I did the swatches, I put Topkapi to use to see how the colors translate on my eyes. Instead of putting the darker colors in the crease, I did a reverse smokey eye and placed the taupe/gold combo in the outer corners.



I lined the upper lid with MAC's Powerpoint Eye Pencil in Industry, and put on 2 quick coats of Dior Inconic.


I also rimmed my lower lash line with Chanel's Rose Platine for light pop of color to brighten up the eyes. The final result is a simple look that can be worn to work without being too bold.  You can punch up the intensity by adding more dark brown in the crease to create a dramatic smokey eye.  Those who love shimmer will rejoice at how these shades look in the sunlight or under incandescent lighting.


Overall, I really love Topkapi. I think it is a highly quality quad that is well worth the high price.  The shades are pigmented, smooth, and very easy to apply.  They don't loose their intensity during blending either.  I had no issues creating a gradient of colors using all 4 shades.  I know some people had concerns about this quad being in the baked formula but rest assured, this is not a sheer quad or a glittery fallout nightmare.

Bottom Line: Topkapi is now my favorite eyeshadow quad from Chanel.  It is a versatile quad that can be used for work and play.  You can use each of the shades individually as a simple wash of color on the lids, or all together to create numerous color combinations.  With that being said, it is more expensive compared to the typical Chanel quads ($57USD vs. $65USD). For those on a budget and love taupes, browns, and golds, I believe Topkapi is well worth the investment.  I have checked my eyeshadow collection but there isn't really anything from MAC that is a dupe for this quad.  Topkapi is not similar to any other Chanel quad either.  For those who are die hard Chanel fans, this is really one quad that should not be passed up.  Topkapi is limited edition so grab one before it's gone.

What are your thoughts on Topkapi? Do you think it's worth $65USD?

20 comments:

Ali said...

Beautiful pictures! I love your eye look. I bought this quad too but can't bear the thought of swatching it just yet... just enjoying staring at it a bit more before finally using it. Definitely worth the extra $$$!

Kumiko Mae said...

i think the quad's great, might try it :)

elsa said...

The colors are beautiful! I have purchased them, but when you think of it, it is quite pricey. Worth the higher price? I guess after dipping into the colors and having fun with them I will know for sure if it was all worth the price! For now, they linger on a shelf, until my weakness gets the best of me!

FunnyFaceBeauty said...

Wow, this is so pretty! I have always admired the Chanel quads from a far but didn't really see any I wanted to spend my money on...this one is different. Its so gorgeous, I might need to get it!
Thanks for the swatches.
xx
Alicia

G A B Y said...

Wow I'm impressed at how pigmented these shadows are! Most Chanel eyeshadows look disappointing in my opinion x=

Zuzu's Petals said...

Beautiful colors that look gorgeous on you. I am quite drawn to the silvery taupe and the burgundy brown, but I know the gold and warm chocolate brown will be a miss for me, so I will likely pass on this quad and admire it from afar on the lucky people who look good in all the colors.

It is extremely rare that I can wear all colors in ANY eye palette.

Thanks for the gorgeous pictures and swatches and EOTD. Nice to see you. :)

Cynthia C. said...

Kristie, as usual, gorgeous pics and great recap! I am totally loving this quad - I ordered it along with the LE Khaki Platine. I tried it for the first time yesterday, as hubby and I were attending an evening wedding. Like you, I found this quad to be incredibly "wearable" with great pigmentation. This has been a big summer for me, as I think this quad and LMdB's Penelope kaleidoscope are both absolute winners!

Leticia said...

I get mine tomorrow!

Kristie said...

Ali - thank you! I know how you feel. The design is too pretty to ruin.

Kumiko Mae - Definitely give it a try. You won't be disappointed!

elsa - I hope it works out well for you. It is truly a stunning quad.

FunnyFaceBeauty - Topkapi is worth the splurge!!

G A B Y - these are definitely pigmented shades and are buildable.

Zuzu's Petals - I'm sad to hear those shades won't work on you. The taupe shade is quite lovely. If only Chanel would make these as individual shades for ya!

Cynthia C. - So glad to hear Topkapi is working out well for you. I can imagine how beautiful it looks on you, especially for a wedding!

polarbelle said...

Kristie,
The quad is stunning on you. your pictures just blow me away!!

I wanted to let you know that Single Ladies didn't turn out as pretty on the nails as it did on the wheel. Very disappointed.

Rinz said...

those are beautiful colors and very natural.i love it!

Sabrina said...

So gorgeous but I cannot spend $67 on one quad! I might cave though... :-)

MissA* said...

That's one very beautiful quad. Do you know if they're also available outside the US?

Kristie said...

Hi MissA - I'm not sure, but I think I've seen people from Australia and UK talking about purchasing it.

PerilouslyPale said...

So beautiful! If only Chanel would start accepting Canadian orders and stop TORMENTING ME!

Poppy Buxom said...

This is gorgeous quad--love all the colors (so OK, the gold isn't an everyday shade, but it's so amazing!) The texture is special, too--so creamy and soft. All in all, this is the nicest Chanel quad I've ever bought--none of the usual hard baked texture.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up on Nordstrom Seattle since the quad is out of stock at Chanel.com

resham said...

A stunning quad for sure. The colors though i think can be found easily if one has a huge make up stash.

the eye look u did is pretty cool...:)

.blushfully. said...

Loooovvveee it! Also loving the eye looks you did with reverse dark on the inside all over lid and gold and lighter on the corner =)

Such gorgeous quad - just worried how much it'll cost here in Australia lol

Blackmentos said...

Christine from temptalia has also raved about this...Love love all the shades, they are so wearable and the rosy highlight and gold make for perfect inner corner shades and all over eyelids for a brightening look. thanks for sharing :))

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!