Urban Decay 15th Anniversary Eyeshadow Palette Dupes and Comparison

Friday, July 29, 2011

One of the questions that often comes up is "how similar are the shades between Urban Decay's Naked and 15th Anniversary Eyeshadow Palette?".  Since I own both, I figured this would be a good comparison for those who are interested.  You can find individual swatches for the Naked Palette here and the 15th Anniversary Palette here.

At first glance, some of the neutral shades look similar to those from the Naked Palette.

 

First up is Midnight Rodeo vs. Sidecar.  These two look nearly identical in the pan and both have obvious large glitter bits.


Next is Deeper vs. Smog. Deeper looks much lighter in the pan compared to Smog so it is not an exact dupe.  Deeper is also not as bronze compared to Half Baked.


Side-by-side swatches show Deeper as a dark brown compared to Smog's bronze medium brown.  Sidecar is more taupe compared to Midnight Rodeo.  Although Deeper and Midnight Rodeo are in the same family as Smog and Sidecar, they are not quite the same.


In the pan, Ace is very similar to Gunmetal but without the large glitter bits. Blackout is a matte finish and does not have shimmer compared to Creep. M.I.A and Hustle are both burgundy browns but Hustle is a tad darker in the pan.


Chase is also similar to Half Baked in the pan although it is not as bronze.


In the swatch, Blackout is a darker and deeper matte black compared to a frosty and glittery Creep. Both are chalky but Creep can't really get to an opaque black like Blackout. Gunmetal is lighter compared to Ace, which leans a tad more blue.  Gunmetal also has larger bits of glitter whereas Ace is much smoother. Half Baked is more orange/bronze compared to Chase.


Midnight 15 is not similar to any of the shades in the Naked Palette.  Flow looks like it may be similar to Sin although it is peachier in the pan.


Flow is in fact lighter and peachier compared to Sin although the flash in the picture doesn't show it as well.  Midnight 15 does not have the peach or pink hue like Sin or Flow. Hustle is very close to MIA but it is slightly darker. Hustle also has less shimmer compared to MIA.


I know MAC's Romping is not in the Naked Palette but I couldn't but think of it when I saw Junkshow. The shades look quite similar in the pan although Romping is more pink.


In the swatch, Junkshow is not as pink and is frostier compared to Romping.  Junkshow is also more unique with the fuchsia-blue base, making it look more like a duo-chrome.


Based on the swatches and comparison, a few of the shades from the 15th Anniversary Palette do look similar to those from the Naked Palette. However, I would not say they are exact dupes. Hustle and MIA are the only two that are nearly identical at first glance.

If you already own the Naked Palette, only want neutral shades, and is on a budget, you can probably skip the 15th anniversary palette. However, do keep in mind that there is nothing similar to Vanilla and Midnight 15 in the Naked Palette. At the same time, there are also other satin shades in the Naked Palette that is not included in the 15th Anniversary. As a lover of neutral shades, I welcome both palettes.  However, if I were to choose only one, I would go with the 15th Anniversary palette because it has a good mixture of both neutral and bold shades.

Which would you choose? The Naked Palette or the 15th Anniversary Palette?

15 comments:

Polarbelle said...

OOOOhhhh emmmmmm geeeeewhiz, what a fabulous post. Your pictures, girl!!!! great comparisons. Is it sad that I wanna get this cuz it has ONE shadow with my son's name? I really don't think I need it seeing the comparisons. but, DUDE, another FABULOUS post with FABULOUS pictures. You rock!!

Charlotte said...

This was an unbelievably helpful post! Thank you for doing this. I have the Naked palette and have been wondering whether it's worth it to get the new one. The pictures were so helpful!

Vicki - aka- LVMAKEUP said...

I love your how you compared the palettes and did swatches!! <3

ColorMeNani said...

awesome post. i just got the anniversary palette today and didn't think about the dupes... but great post, pointing out the dupes :)

Dizzy said...

Great swatches and comparisons!

Elvira said...

This is an awesome post! Thanks for the swatches and comparisons!

Kalyn said...

Thank you so much for this post! It was incredibly helpful, because I've been eyeing both the 15th palette and the Naked palette, and now that I see how similar the shades are, I think I would opt for the 15th. Also, the Naked palette isn't limited edition, so I can always buy that later if I still want it. Thanks again!

MsRinz said...

I wish i could fall in love in Urban Decay. pretty colors buttttt.... i dont like big packaging i guess...the Naked palette looks good though...i guess ill wait till something better comes out??? i dont know...the anniversary colors are pretty but I am not liking the packaging. Too heavy!

Jill said...

Thanks for the post! I personally couldn't pass up the Naked palette simply for Naked and Buck! The only matte in the 15th palette is black. I'm happy to have both, you can never have too many neutrals :)The Naked palette has everything you need for an on the go look and it travels easily. The 15th is quite bulky and while it's pretty, I wish the packaging were such that it was easier to take with you. I don't think I'll ever travel with it, but it's nice to have!

resham said...

Thank you for the comparisons. I wish the anniversary palette were as sleek as NAKED PALETTE for easy stacking...

Polarbelle said...

Umm, I must a had too much sugar before cuz I sounded like a moron but this really is a great comparison post. It shows me that I don't need the anniversary palette, but Naked is like the best palette made anyway, and its just so helpful to have these swatches. Thanks for your efforts.

Makeup Magpie said...

Thanks so much for the great comparisons! I ordered the 15th palette and love the variety of colors. The Naked palette is beautiful as well, but I'd probably go with the 15th if I had to choose between them, although I prefer the packaging of the Naked palette. :)

Vee said...

I personally bought the anniversary palette when I went to the counter to get the Naked ! I changed my mind because I wear bright colours more often and I'm satisfied with the neutral wolours in the one I got =)

But being a real makeup junkie I might still buy the Naked later on !!

xxx Vee

intoulikeatrain said...

Love your detailed comparison! *thumbs up*

Irsada's Beauty-full World said...

Thank you very much for comparing those two palettes!!!!! I went to the Sephora today to buy the Naked palette, because I saw it a few weeks ago there and regreted not buying it that day, and so today I had the intention to buy it, but then I found the 15 anniversary palette and kind of felt in love with that one and also bought that one instead of Naked, and I'm glad I can see the difference of both and I absolutely don't regret buying 15 anniversary palette. I thought it's better as it has also those other colors AND the natural colors ^^

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!