Chanel Holiday 2011 Collection Swatches and Review Part II

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Besides the lip products and eyeliner, I also checked out Chanel 2011 Holiday Collection's face products.  The only item missing from the tester was the loose powder in Feerie. I saw the nail polish in Black Satin and Rouge Carat but didn't have a chance to try them out. There is also the Ombres Contraste Duo in Noir-Ivore as well.  The lip products and eyeliner from this collection are reviewed here.

One of the star items in this collection is the Lumiere Sculptee de Chanel Highlighter. The design alone is drool-worthy.  I gasp with excitement when I saw the product in person.  The best part is that the intricate design is not an over-spray! There is a glittery over-spray on the top layer that quickly goes away after 1-2 brush swipes.



At first, I was really worried about Sculptee de Chanel Highlighter being chalky based on how it looked both in the pan and on my arms.  However, I am glad to report it is not chalky or powdery once applied on the skin.  I used Chanel's fluffy round powder brush to apply the highlighter on my cheekbones. It provides a beautiful, soft, and shimmery glow. I was sold instantly.  There is a slight tinge of pink in the powder, which made me love it even more.  At $72USD, I am still giving it a thumbs up because I can actually see the shimmer both in the store and in dim lit incandescent light.

Brun Rose was a complete surprise for me.  It looks more brown-rose in the pan but swatches as a coral- pink as shown.  It is very pigmented on my arm but is quite soft and subtle on the cheeks.  When applied with a Chanel blush brush, I get a soft peachy glow. Brun Rose combined with Lumiere Sculptee de Chanel Highlighter is a killer combination.


The two single eyeshadows are Beige Lame and Blazing Gold.  I didn't have much expectations for either of them but was pleasantly surprised by Beige Lame. In the swatch, it's a muddy light beige-brown but the images do it no justice.  Beige Lame has these gorgeous multi-color shimmers that makes it quite unique.  I'm not sure if my camera can ever capture this to show you.

Blazing Gold is a soft gold with gold shimmers. I'm not particularly blown away by this shade as much as Beige Lame. However, those who love gold eyeshadows may want to check this out.


Overall, I am glad the highlighter did not disappoint both in design, pigmentation, and formula. The collection has a lot of beautiful classic everyday pieces that you can reach for over and over again.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of the face products either. I was a bit disappointed that NM did not have the loose powder tester. I imagine that would be a nice staple as well.

Bottom line:  If you're on a budget, pick up the highlighter ASAP because it will definitely be sold out.  Don't let Beige Lame fool you as just another simple brown-beige eyeshadow. It is much prettier in person. My top picks are the highlighter and Beige Lame.  Brun Rose Tweed is also coming home with me but if you're on a budget, you can probably find a dupe for it from MAC, NARS, or Tarte. I'm still holding out on the loose powder as well. I think it might be another winner from this collection.

To see more swatches of the face products and nail polish, visit Charleston Girl from BestThingsInBeauty.

What are your picks from the face products?

12 comments:

Eden-Avalon said...

I've just fallen in love with Brun Rose! Beautiful release!

Ava said...

Well...the promotional photos set me up for red. I'm in a red mood! But everything is really pink. :(

Ava said...

I neglected to thank you for all the swatches in both posts! The photos and products are beautiful, just not what I expected.

Kristie said...

Ava - Thank YOU for visiting and commenting! I know what you mean though. The promotional pictures concentrated on red and gold. I was surprised as well but the pinks has me rejoicing in secret :)

Makeup Magpie said...

Thanks for the great swatches. I love Brun Rose :) and am definitely interested in Beige Lame!

Anonymous said...

These swatches are really helpful, thanks!! Do you know if Beige Lame has the same texture as Fauve eyeshadow?

Kristie said...

Hi Anonymous - Beige Lame has a similar smooth texture as Fauve. Fauve has white shimmers whereas Beige Lame has multi-color shimmers.

Eileen said...

Welcome back from your travels! And what better way to return to the blogosphere than with great swatches and reviews of Chanel Holiday. Your pictures do an excellent job of capturing the colors and some of the sparkle. Overall this is a lovely collection even though it doesn't contain anything terribly unique from the color standpoint. Although the promo pictures promised red and bright gold, the gilded pinks and beiges are beautiful none the less. Chanel has been doing some interesting things with their micro shimmer and that is in evidence throughtout the collection.

Judging from many of the make-up looks that we've been seeing on the runways lately, we seem to be headed towards a more sculpted cheek look. Although Lumière Sculptée might seem a bit extravagant, I think it is going to be money well spent as it does an extraordinary job of emphasizing cheekbones without covering them in frost or glitter! I picked up my LS on Friday and have been wearing it ever since. It's the perfect companion to Brun Rosé which I also got along with Beige Lamé and Empire. Gilded rosewood--it's a lovely concept even though it's not what I was originally expecting.

Replica said...

I am very tempted by the Highlighter but will have to check the ingredients as my face doesn't always get on with a lot of Chanel powders. I do also like the look of Beige Lame and I hadn't even been thinking about that one, your such an enabler ;)

Kristie said...

Eileen - Thank you! I couldn't agree more with your observations. The colors are not particularly unique but they are super flattering on the skin. Gilded rosewood is such a great concept and I love it. I think the Byzantine collection represented the red and gold colors very well.

Replica - haha sorry! It is a beautiful eyeshadow though :)

October 10, 2011 1:51 PM

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the in depth review, is the gold in this holiday collection the same as the gold in the topkapi quad also by Chanel? If you have both items could you swatch them both and post the photo?

Kristie said...

Anonymous - Hi. I do have topkapi quad but did not pick up Blazing Gold eyeshadow from the holiday collection. The swatches can be seen here: http://naturalnchicmakeup.blogspot.com/2011/07/byzance-de-chanel-topkapi-quad-swatches.html

Based from memory, the gold eyeshadow in Topkapi is much smoother compared to Blazing Gold. It is also darker in color and more pigmented. HTH!

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!