Guerlain Terracotta Makeup Palette Swatches and Review

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Whenever I travel abroad, I always make sure to plan a trip to the local DFS Galleria. I love the travel exclusive palettes as well as the tax-free prices.  One of my favorite finds on the latest trip is Guerlain's Terracotta Makeup Palette. I was on a hunt for Dior's Asia Exclusive bronzer but caught a glimpse of this beauty in the corner of my eyes.

Update: You can now purchase this from Nordstrom!


Guerlain always provides the most classic yet elegant packaging.  This makeup palette comes in a glossy copper bronze compact with a soft face brush and a sponge tip applicator. Everything fits nicely in a soft velvet pouch.



I was first intrigued by the terracotta bronzer on the top layer. The big stripe is a soft light brown with shimmer and the smaller stripe is a tad darker that's best for contouring.


The bronzer is buttery smooth to the touch and has very small, subtle shimmers.


The shimmers can be seen much better in direct sunlight:


Although the bronzer looks somewhat intense in the pan, it actually swatches rather light and sheer. I  like this because it is buildable and allows me to have control of how dark I want it to look on my cheeks.


Although the top layer of the compact was what initially caught my attention, the bottom layer made this palette much more special.


Guerlain included 4 excellent eyeshadow shades that really blew me away.


3 out of 4 shades have multi-color shimmers that translates quite well on the eyes.  The peachy-gold shade in the bottom left hand corner  is slightly gritty compared to the other 3.  There is a soft taupe beige shade that can be used as a base or to highlight the brow bones. The plum and olive shades are my favorites to use either in the crease or as eyeliners.


Finger swatches shows how gorgeous these shades look in the bright sunlight.


Another shot:


Since all of the shades lean warm, I find them particularly fitting and flattering for my skin tone. 


Swatches of the palette in direct sunlight shows how soft or intense the colors can look in different lighting.


The bronzer did not look orange or muddy on my skin tone, but gives a rather soft "kiss in the sun" effect.

Overall, I highly recommend checking out this palette if you are traveling abroad. It is not available at all DFS counters but do keep an eye out for it. This is probably one of the best palettes I have seen from Guerlain. The bronzer is also buttery smooth and beautiful on the skin. The eyeshadows blew me away in color, pigmentation, and texture. I honestly think if Guerlain offered this as a limited edition item at the local counters, it will undoubtedly sell like hotcakes! I'm so glad to say that this is now available at Nordstrom but it is still limited edition!

Bottom Line: At $62USD, I think this palette is worth every penny. The regular bronzer retails for $49USD and a typical 4-eyeshadow palette costs $59USD.  Based on that alone, you save $3USD by purchasing this palette. It is a great travel product that covers both eyeshadow, eyeliner, and bronzer.  Guerlain won my heart over with this palette as I know I will be bringing this along on all of my future trips.

What are your thoughts on this palette? Do you think it's worth the money?

14 comments:

Replica said...

That is so pretty, I love the look of the shadows, what a shame they don't have those in their regular line up as I am sure they would sell really well! Thanks for sharing this little gem :)

Kristie said...

I agree! I hope Guerlain does consider selling it either online or at local counters.

Girlie Blogger said...

I think the colors are beautiful and the packaging is elegant.

www.geekettegazette.com
www.thegirlieblog.com

Flyavsted said...

OMG - I am dying here! I need to travel abroad so I can get hold of this palette! ;) Thank you for a fab review and pictures

Eden-Avalon said...

I don't think I could buy a bronzer for that price, mostly because I don't yet know how to use them. Though I AM trying to expand on that knowledge, as I feel I could really benefit from some more contouring.

Ava said...

What a gem! I would love to have this.

Makeup Magpie said...

Excellent photos & what a lovely palette! I especially like the shadows. It would be great if Guerlain would offer this at local counters :)

PerilouslyPale said...

That is so nice! What a neat combination of products. It's beautiful!

Georgina said...

that is one gorgeous palette Kristie! I will def. grab it if i see it! hahaha
thank you for the swatches, the shades look very flattering against your skin! <3

FunnyFaceBeauty said...

Wow, the shadow palette is gorgeous. How do the duty free shops work? On my trip last week someone told me that I couldn't buy anything if I was just flying within the US. Boo!
xx
Alicia

Kristie said...

Hi Alicia. To purchase duty free, you will need a boarding pass to a flight outside of the country. I recommend purchasing at the airport prior to departing the US.

Rola said...

This is a gorgeous palette, I will have to check it out before my upcoming trip. Thanks for sharing!

餡餅 said...

Thanks for sharing!The colors are gorgeous, but I don't know where to buy in Asia......It seems not to sell in the plane of the Asian routes....

Kristina said...

Just bought it few days ago, it IS awesome :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!