MAC Extra Dimension Collection Swatches and Review

Saturday, April 7, 2012

MAC Extra Dimension Collection officially launched on 4/5/12 at all MAC counters. As usual, MAC had the collection online a couple of days earlier. Since I'm no longer able to check out the collection on the day of the launch, I made a quick decision to purchase the Skinfinish in Superb with free shipping. As predicted, that particular shade sold out real quick! For those who are looking for the Skinfinishes, they are still available on Nordstrom's website.


The Extra Dimension Collection has 3 Skinfinishes, 2 re-promote brushes, and 10 new eyeshadows.  At first glance, the products remind me of the Metal X collection. However, these are not exactly the same as those eyeshadows. These particular eyeshadows are similar to Estee Lauder's Pure Color Eyeshadows. They feel creamy to the touch but has a powder finish.

Lunar is a dark navy with shimmer. This is quite pigmented and goes on pretty smooth.
Grand Galaxy is a beautiful violet with a lot of shimmer. I was fond of the shade but it was too shimmery for me.
Havana is a neutral brown. It's a nice shade but nothing particularly exciting.
Sweet Heat is a rosy bronze that is very similar to Laura Mercier's Rose Rendezvous and Superb Skinfinish.
Rich Core is a burgundy that is not as dark or intense as I expected it to be.
Modern Pewter is a silvery green with a hint of grey on me. It looks beautiful in the swatch but was lacking the depth and intensity once applied on my lids.
Young Venus is a light pink with lots of shimmers.
Blue Orbit is a baby blue with lots of shimmers.
Warm Thunder is a nice gray with shimmers.
Dark Dare feels almost like a matte and has no shimmers.


The image below gives a better idea of how shimmery each of the shadows look in real life:


Personally, I think the stars of the collection are the 3 Skinfinishes.  The texture is buttery smooth and is not crazy shimmery.  I already knew I wanted Supberb but also tried out Glorify and Whisper of Gilt out of curiosity.


Whisper of Gilt is a golden beige on my NC25/30 skintone. It surprisingly did not look too yellow and gives a beautiful glow on the cheekbones.

Superb is very similar to Laura Mercier's Rose Rendezvous (reviewed here) from what I can remember. There is no doubt this is a popular shade.

Glorify is a bronzy orange that does look terrifying both in the pan and in the swatch.  However, when I applied this with a skunk brush and a light hand, it gives a natural sunkissed glow.

Overall, I thought MAC's Extra Dimension is a nice collection. The texture of both the eyeshadows and Skinfinishes are very nice.  With that being said, I did not bring home any of the eyeshadows.  I tried on Modern Pewter, Grand Galaxy, Rich Core, Warm Thunder, and Havana. While the colors are beautiful, there was a bit of shimmer migration all over my cheeks by midday. I was not impressed. On top of that, the colors started to fade even with the use of a base.  At $20USD a piece, I was expecting buttery smooth texture and longer staying power.

Bottom Line: This is a collection worth checking out.  If you're on a budget, pick up at least one of the Skinfinishes ($29USD).  I recommend Superb since it will be flattering on most skintones.  Glorify is a real surprise so don't rule it out before trying it on yourself.  Whisper of Gilt is not a must-have but is definitely a nice highlighter.  I was not particularly blown away by the eyeshadows ($20USD) but if you really want to pick some up, my top picks are Grand Galaxy, Lunar, and Sweet Heat.  You can use Sweet Heat as a highlighter as well since it's so similar to Superb. Why not save yourself an extra $9 right? The only downside is that Sweet Heat packs a lot more shimmer compared to Superb.

What are your thoughts on this collection? What did you take home?

5 comments:

Sharlynn said...

Ooo...that's exactly what I was thinking! I'd love to pick up superb or a product of that shade! The shadows look lovely! I'd probably want to covet sweet heat and lunar! Thanks for the gorgeous swatches! :)

Polarbelle said...

Gorgeous swatches!!! Really great photos which show the dimension and intensity of each hue with true to life color. Wow, I need to get that dark blue!

Kat @ Cherries In The Snow Beauty Blog said...

I like the look of Sweet Pewter and Superb, I think they are the top of my wishlist!

Makeup Magpie said...

Thanks for the great swatches! So far I only took home the Pewter shade! Love it :)

Anonymous said...

Sweet heat and superb are really similar.

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!