Dior Holiday 2012 Collection Swatches and Review

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Dior's Grand Bal Holiday 2012 Collection is slowly trickling into stores this month.  Similar to previous holiday offerings, Grand Bal's color theme focuses primarily on reds and golds. However, both the lipstick and nail polish packagings are a nod to old time glamour.

There are two lipglosses in Ceremony Red and Lame Gold.  Ceremony Red is a medium red with subtle shimmers.  Lame Gold is a very light gold with larger gold glitter, which makes it look somewhat gritty.


The 4 red lipsticks are Diva, Lady, Marilyn, and Diorling.  The only place I have seen this type of lipstick packaging is at the duty free counters.


 Note: there is a typo in the picture below - Lady and Diva should be swapped. Will fix it later tonight.

Lady has more coral out of the 4 shades, while Marilyn leans more on the fuchsia side. Diva and Diorling are quite similar but Diva is a tad brighter.


Fairy Golds Eyeshadow Quint is a nice neutral palette.  There is a chocolate brown, light peach, glittery gold, white, and light taupe.  I love the brown and taupe shades but am not a fan of the glittery gold.  The swatch below is done wet so the gold isn't as gritty or chunky.  When swatch dry, the gold shade separates even in the tester itself.


The Night Golds Eyeshadow Quint focuses more on gold shades.  There is a matte black with shimmers, white, glittery gold, frosty gold, and light brown.  This is my least favorite quad.  The combination of super gritty gold and matte black was difficult to work when swatch dry.  I think it will be better wet but I personally like my eyeshadows to be less fussy.


The Grand Bal Palette comes in a nice gold compact and has 2 eyeshadows and 2 lip glosses.


After the fiasco with Night Golds, I was pleasantly surprised to find the texture of the eyeshadows in this palette. The gold and silver shades are buttery smooth! The lip products are sheerer but buildable. There is a red and very light gold shade for layering on top of lipsticks.


There are 4 nail polishes in a different bottle that's gold and rounder.


Lady is a frosty white that reminds me of Chanel's Attraction.  Diorling is a golden-beige with gold shimmers.  Marilyn is an apple red and Diva is black with gold shimmers.


Besides the Grand Bal Holiday Collection, Dior also offers a gorgeous lip palette with 2 lip preps/glosses, 3 lipstick shades, and a lip pencil.


For the eyes, the palette has 3 neutral eyeshadows, an eyeliner, a brow gel, and brow color.
  
      
Last but not least, the brush set has a lip, eye, blush, and powder/foundation brush.


Overall, Dior has a huge selection of products for this holiday. You can choose to go with the Grand Bal Collection, lip palette, eye palette, or brush set. I personally will skip the entire collection altogether because there wasn't anything that jumped out at me.  However, if you are new to Dior or want to explore the products, this is the best time.  Palettes that combine multiple products usually only come around during the holiday season and may not be the same every year.  At the same time, you can try a variety of products without breaking the bank.

My top picks: Lip palette, Ceremony Red Lip Gloss, Fairy Golds Eyeshadow Quint, Diva and Darling lipsticks

Did anything catch your eyes? What are your top picks?

8 comments:

Rola said...

I like Diva lipstick. The packaging of the lipstick and the nail polish bottles are cohesive and just lovely. I will get them based on the packaging alone!

Jacqueline said...

Thanks for the amazing and useful swatches my dear. I was lemming the Palette Grand Bal but I think I can safely skip this collection and wait for Guerlain's.:)

Lucy said...

Diva and Marylin nail polishes are mine :)

makeup magpie said...

Thanks for the swatches :) I am interested in trying the nail polishes!

Anonymous said...

love your blog.. i really like holiday collections i think the dior brow set is a must have to travel love it

Resham said...

Lovely shades... lovely swatches... GOLDS!! my fav... though I won't be buying anything....

caucasian hair cut said...

The Dior holiday collection swatches given here is wonderful. Know the details from here

Polarbelle said...

I don't know why really but I splurged for the Grand Bal palette. I was leaning toward Night Golds and then an MA threw it on me and I didn't like how she did it, so I decided to go in a totally different direction and spend twice as much, lol. Hope I like it!!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I love hearing from all of you. In order to keep the site spam free, please DO NOT add links of your website in the comment. It is considered spam and will not be published. Thanks!